External hdd

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BigCol, Aug 17, 2013.

1. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Having some trouble with an external hdd I bought. My windows 7 desktop isnt picking it up when I plug it into my pc. However, if I plug it into my sons win 7 pc, it picks it right away. Ive checked the usb ports that Im plugging it into and they are working fine as I can plug in a flash drive, mouse etc and they work. Ive gone into computer management and it does not appear there so I cant even try to repartition it. Im lost as to what to try next. Any suggestions guys would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys :worthy:

2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Look in Device Manager for it when plugged in. If you do not see it, try scanning for hardware changes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    #3 BigCol, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks Humphrey, I'll try that now!!
    Ive just realised that Ive posted this in the wrong forum and should have posted it in the hardware section. Sorry guys.

Edit..........nothing Humphrey. Anything else I can try??

4. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Have you tried manually adding it ? "Add new hardware"

You can run CMD as admin and type Hdwwiz.exe.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Hmmm it worked, the hard drive installed and I could access it but when I unplugged it and plugged it back in, I had to do the whole process again. Comes up with "microsoft wpd enhanced storage password driver" when I run cmd prompt and Hdwwiz.exe and search automatically.

6. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Uninstall it the driver and have it reinstall.

Also, make sure you have the manufacture drivers installed as well. (Computer)

7. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    I see your thanks but did it work?

8. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    No. Even though the driver would install ok, I got a message informing me the driver was installed, I still got code 10 error. My pc would recognise my hdd but if I unplug it and plug it back in, it wouldnt show up on my pc. Works fine on my sons win 7 desktop. Thanks Humohrey your help is appreciated

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just curious: Is the external HDD an USB 3.0 Drive and you try to connect to an USB 2.0 port?

If that's the case, there could be a few different problems:
    • the USB 3.0 device could NOT get recognized on USB 2 Ports, I had that an a few Laptops
    • use a better, best is: shielded USB Cable, and NOT longer than 1m
    • use USB port from the back of the MB NOT front ports

Also check USB settings in BIOS!

10. BigCol

BigCol MDL Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Its USB 2.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    So, what's USB 2? the HDD or the USB Ports on machine?

12. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #12 Humphrey, Aug 18, 2013
  13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    He should only need to try it in another USB port the drive works on another PC. He may invalidate warranty if he opens up the case.

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Same me: I believe that Drive has no problems!

It's his machine and that could be either the USB Ports, incompatible USB Controller, the USB Cable and, if used to connect to the front USB Ports, the connection of that USB Data Cable to the Mainboard.

That's why I suggested to use the USB Ports an back of machine. Also lack of power could trigger such problem, mainly because of low quality USB Cable. The Back Connectors mainly getting 500-600mA while the front connectors mainly below 500mA, down to 200mA. The HDD needs quite a bit power for to spin up!

15. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #15 Humphrey, Aug 18, 2013
    And it most likely will so I should have said something about that but it isn't something I think about, as soon as I get something new I have already taken it apart two or three times in the first month :p

Seeing how he was able to get it to work on his machine already by adding it with the hardware wiz then I am thinking its more then likely going to be a software issue so he should definitely try the steps I posted last and your suggestion as well before attempting removing the HDD from its enclosure.

We do not know if it has its own power supply or not, everyone I have seen does, expect for the external 2.5' enclosures.

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Humphrey
    that is true BigCol said external drive yes these do have there own power supply but perhaps it is a external 2.5 portable one.

17. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Mhmm.. But, have you ever seen a 2.5 external that was assembled already? All that I have seen are just empty cases and the user must install their own HDD in it.

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes, I have and I use several of them: Acer 500GB, WD 1TB etc!!

19. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #19 Humphrey, Aug 18, 2013
    Never have I seen someone that uses the ! as much as you do. Chill..

2.5' pre-assembled externals are less common-but they do exist.

Have yet to see a HDD manufactured by acer, when they start doing that?

20. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007