External USB 3.0 Enclosure question re: Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ciscokid, Nov 14, 2016.

1. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Hey guys,

I have the Gigabyte ga-z97mx-gaming5 motherboard with an i7-4790K CPU.

I do a lot of music and video on my PC so I need as much space as I can get. I recently bought 2 Sans Digital USB 3.0 4-bay external enclosures and filled them with 8 2TB drives.

Here's the problem, when I boot the computer, it hangs for like 60 seconds before it goes to POST, it also hangs for a bit while loading Windows 10 (I have the anniversary update I believe 1607). When I disconnect the external boxes, it boots fine. FYI: When I turn the computer off, both enclosures go into power saving mode, the drives turn back on when I boot up but that's when the delay happens, I counted at least 60 seconds before it boots up.

Has anyone seen this before?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Windows loads the drives during boot (my 5TB drive also spins up at boot). There should be a BIOS setting which prevents this from happening during initial boot but when windows is loading they will be spinned up.

3. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #3 endbase, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    change power plan to optimal in windows that is one thing and check your bios for by passing the usb set smart self test to off enable fast boot etc I have the same with my external usb drive takes forever to power up :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Thanks guys, will try to enable fast boot and disable usb smart self test in the bios when I get home from work. I remember seeing that option in the manual.

5. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Hey guys, I enabled Fast Boot with Partial USB initialization so the mouse and keyboard still work and bingo, no problems at all with the external drives. PC booted up perfectly.

Thanks for the tips!!