Extract Dell Optiplex 390 UEFI bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by lungkao, Aug 22, 2012.

1. lungkao

lungkao MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2008
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. lungkao

lungkao MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2008
    Any more Idea? :confused:

thanks in advanced!

4. adrianyujs

adrianyujs MDL Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I'm waiting for this modded bios, c'mon ppl!

5. drewbug

drewbug MDL Member

Aug 15, 2010
    I have this system, is there some way I can help?

6. akuma6099

akuma6099 MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2012
    Today is your lucky day. Awhile back I ran into a dilema. I needed to change the service tag on a pulled system board I got off of Ebay. After trying many tools to extract and decompress this BIOS exe I came up with another Idea. I took a warranty board that I received directly from Dell and ripped thier BIOS:spoton:. Whatdaya know this puppy had the service tag rom that would fire upon boot asking for your service tag. I've been experimenting with various models for this reason only. So this dump is a FULL dump of 4Mb. You cannot get this by using "Universal Bios Backup". You need a programmer which I see you have, and an 8-pin SOIC test clip for some In-Circuit-Programming. You will need to adjust your system board serial number at 2 locations.

180A9F-180AB5 = (System Board Serial + Revision version)20 Characters + "A00"
    1988B2-1988C8 = (System Board Serial + Revision version)20 Characters + "A00"
    Ex: CN0?????????????????A00

Your serial number is printed on a white label on the board. Usually you pull your part number out of this string. I have filled these areas with "?" and left the "A00". Adjust these 2 offsets and program it up.

The flash is located next to the SATA terminals near the corner. I have seen 2 different kinds. One was a MXIC_MX25L320, the other was Windbond_W25Q32. Both use the same SPI interface. WP + HOLD are active low so tie VCC in. You do NOT need to remove the flash on this model. It can be programmed in circuit. The trick is to get everything ready for Read or Write, plug in power and HOLD the Test button on the power supply. This will force the board alive and open the gates. Then you program/read and pull the plug. Usually you have to remove it from circuit. I think the crystal on the taget circuit causes the programmer to glitch due to different timings. You can't get a good read and bytes change each time. By holding the power supply test button I think your holding everything at reset so there is no clock and stuff. Just speculation.

Also, with this dump you can extract it using AMIBCP. You can see all the headers and roms and strings. I was thinking. The new tool to adjust the service tag is plattags/SmMfgCfg. This tool is asking for an s2token.tbl translation file. At first I thought it was working with a certification authority for approval but now I'm thinking it wants a strings-2-token table. I tried feeding in a couple tests with no success. Maybe someone can do some proper IDA on it and extract the Service tag rom section and make a UEFI tool? Here are some links for ya(Still can't POST). Let me know how it goes.

O390-Factory-A02: sendspace.com/file/zvg180
    Tools(Also Posted in "Bios Tools" Section): sendspace.com/folder/ppnuqv

7. nappy

nappy MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2013
    I have an optiplex 7010 with vPro KVM disabled. Can you list the pieces and parts for a programmer so I can rip this bios?

8. akuma6099

akuma6099 MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2012
    My prefrence is FlashCatUSB from embedded computers. It used to be called BlackCatUSB. It's constantly updated and supports every flash chip I've thrown at it. Also supports JTAG, SPI, CFI, and a hybrid NAND over SPI if chip has it. well worth the $30. If your more adventurous, you could try moving into the MCU world and get something like an arduino, Buspirate, pyMCU.... they are popping up everywhere now. Let the IC's do the work. You send commands.

9. mroland72

mroland72 MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2016
    I know this is an old thread but.... Does anyone have the factory Optiplex 390 bios image that akuma6099 provided in his link? The link is dead now.

Thanks