Extracting an AMI Bios?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Spirrwell, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Spirrwell

Spirrwell MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2011
    #1 Spirrwell, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
    Very new to these forums still, so I wasn't sure if this would be the best place to post, so sorry if I've screwed up.

I am however familiar with the bios hacking stuff that's been posted here, which I've already done both a Phoenix Bios, and an Award Bios in which I've inserted DELL SLIC 2.1 into.

Next is AMI, but this happens to be a netbook. It's also an obscure Chinese one, so I have no way of finding the bios by just searching the model # or something. So I need to extract it. Is there a way I can do this? I know with Phoenix and Award, they generally have a way of backing up the current bios before doing a bios flash or something like that, but I can't find that in the AMI bios.

Any help is appreciated, as I'm still looking and can't find anything. Thanks in advance.

Edit:
    Oh I'm such an idiot. I REALLY screwed up in which portion of the forums I should've posted in, no wonder I've gotten no replies. Although to add to what I've actually done, I tried this Universal Bios Backup 2.0 that was here on the forums, although it seemed to work, when I went to try and modify, it said it was an invalid AMI bios. It's not that hard to miss that the computer is AMI, as the logo American Megatrends comes up when I start the computer anyway, I didn't screw up there. Am I missing something?

2. asabater

asabater MDL Member

Sep 6, 2008
    the afudos utility with /Obios.rom parameter

or type afudos without parameters to see more help

saludos from spain in august:rolleyes:

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. alxlbf2

alxlbf2 MDL Junior Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit :biggrin:. It´s extracting nearly all BIOS´s and the tool is working great :D.
    I would care more about flashing the modified BIOS.

5. Spirrwell

Spirrwell MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2011
    #5 Spirrwell, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
    (OP)
    Uh, I said the reason that I need to backup the bios is so I can modify it. The netbook I have is Chinese, I have no way of finding a bios on the Internet. Also, I edited my post to say that I did try the Universal BIOS Backup 2.0. It worked, but when I went to open up the bios with the tools to modify it with the SLIC 2.1 injection, it said that it was an invalid bios. I will try the other suggestions soon.

Edit:
    I did what was suggested with AFUDOS, but the bios is write protected, and I can't find anything in the bios itself to unlock it or something as such. I used freedos and booted from LiveCD only, is there something I'm missing?

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    There may be a jumper you need to short on the motherboard to remove bios protection. i can't believe you cannot find any info or manuals on this model.

7. Spirrwell

Spirrwell MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2011
    Eh, that's a bit out of my league, I never really open up laptops or netbooks. I'll stick to desktops then. Also, about finding manuals an such, if you want to satisfy your own curiosity, this is the netbook: sourcinggate. com/d10c-10-2-inch-netbook-with-wsvga-wi-fi-160g-1-3mp-camera-p-6862.html Although, I got it off of ebay.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  9. Spirrwell

Spirrwell MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2011
    How in the hell did you find that? I feel like an idiot now ^_^. I've searched and searched, and could never find that. I'll save it though for anything later. Thanks.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I can't remember now :confused: I think I just searched google for d10c netbook just checked again yes on second page in google I just noticed timespad.com.cn said productview all the rest seem to be wholesale or exporters e.c.t. Sheer luck I guess Page 2 of about 106,000 results :D Glad to help.