Extracting files from recovery partition

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Waywyrd, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Waywyrd

Waywyrd MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2011
    Hi,

Firstly if there is an answer to this question on the forum my apologies because I couldn't find it with the search option.

Now the question is: can you 'extract' the files from a HP tower, circa 2005/6 recovery partition. I'd like to get 'Window' and the drivers 'out'. I've 'Googled' with no success so far. My gripe with the recovery partition is that it adds/installs unwanted software and it take longer than installing WinXP from scratch. The XP version is MCE edition.

Regards,

Waywyrd.

2. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    Can you view the contents of recovery partition by showing hidden files and folders in folder options?

3. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    there's no need to do what you are wanting to do.

just make your own OEM XP copy for your machine

and windows update will find most of the correct drivers. and if not, all you have to do is go to HP's website and find your machine and you can download all the drivers you need straight from there...

4. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
  5. Waywyrd

Waywyrd MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2011
    Hi,

Thanks guys for the help and advice. I've got a Hirem bootdisk which I've used before on the PC in question, so I'm going to see what format the files are in. And copy them if it's viable to extract them that way. I'm also going to have a go at making the OEM XP cd. It might be a few days before I get this done but I'll try and remember to let you guys know how I get on.

Once again thanks for your advice.

Waywyrd.

6. 38956

38956 MDL Member

Jun 7, 2010