Extracting ROM from Dell Latitude E6410 BIOS

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by JimboBobB, May 2, 2013.

1. JimboBobB

JimboBobB MDL Novice

May 2, 2013
    Hi all, I've been a lurker but I've decided to contribute, but I need some help at the same time.

I would like to get the raw ROM from a Latitude E6410's update EXE. But Dell seems to have removed the "-writerom" option from the EXEs. I started taking a look at it, and I found the signature that it looks for to find the compressed data that it extracts from itself (unfortunately it's not in a resource, it's just embedded in the .data section). I also found the size, and the signature appears again at the end, so I confirmed it's the right size.

I can also see strings indicating they're probably using zlib 1.2.3, but when I tried to just carve out the part that I can see is the start and end, and tack on a .zip, it doesn't decompress (which kind of makes sense since I think it decompresses like an 0x1000 chunk at a time).

So I could use some help from other people with RE or decompression skills. I can provide an IDB that has all my notes in it. Reply to this thread if you PM me so I can get an email.

2. JimboBobB

JimboBobB MDL Novice

May 2, 2013
    I solved my problem (all by my lonesome :-(). I posted the solution to:

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/44785-I-present-you-a-tool-to-decompress-Dell-UEFI-BIOS?p=750992#post750992