Facial Recognition in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MrChris, Sep 17, 2012.

1. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I remember reading somewhere that windows 8 was supposed to have some type of native Facial Recognition built in. Most of what I am able to find is pre-rtm though. has anyone messed with any facial recognition for windows 8 that supports the new login ui? I tried the one from luxand and keylemon however they did not work. In fact they broke windows 8.

Anyone?

Thanks,

~MC

2. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
  3. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I just remember reading that it was there in one of the older builds of win8 but can't find anything about it in the rtm build so I thought I would see what you all know about it. Maybe m$ ditched the idea. I use my laptop most of the time which has a webcam built in and thought it might be a cool thing to "play" with if anything.

~MC

4. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Had that feature built in in one of my Asus running win7, i ditched it quickly as it doesn't provide any real security like Mr Jin Jayyyyyy said. hOLd a picture to it and you are in:smokecowboy:

5. magdalene

magdalene MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2012
    That's just creepy! Before long the scan would end up in some creepy M$ or other database. If such functionality turns up I certainly won't use it, even if it is "cool".

6. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Odds are your face is already on file with Google/Facebook/etc courtesy of amongst other things being tagged in pics by your friends,so avoiding such functionality isn't really going to help your privacy :(

7. hybridseries

hybridseries MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    From the sound of it, it was removed because it wasn't working as intended. If I recall correctly, the original intent was to include a "deep" facial recognition option that wouldn't authenticate if only a photo of you was used. Not that it really matters to me one way or the other... I much prefer the picture password option anyway. :p

8. upfreak93

upfreak93 MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2012
    Whats a picture password ?

9. magdalene

magdalene MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2012
    Nope, if you google my name you'll only find one professional picture from LinkedIn. Just how I want it. I do not want my private details on the internet. My friends know that, and when social media kicked up we were all grown up enough not to embarrass each other by spreading stuff online.