Fact/Fiction--Dell doesn't like 3rd party batteries???

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by gl0rify, Jul 9, 2011.

1. gl0rify

gl0rify MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2011
    OK--so my sister-in-law desperately needs a new laptop battery for her Dell Inspiron E1505. Just found one at a GREAT price on amazon (so I know I have some sort of guarantee and I can return defective items) BUT after doing some research, I see some people LOVE the cheap batteries, and some people HATE them. Now, I remember a time when Dell was so anal about making sure that everything that was done on a Dell pc must be done with Dell products:punch:. Is this true about the batteries? Like I said, I've found some great reviews, and some reviews stating that the battery wasn't read by the Dell lappy, and after some short period of time, it stopped charging the battery at all because it was not by Dell. Any advice is highly appreciated.:eek::biggrin:
    Also, we are trying our best to avoid any trial and errors here. My sister-in-law doesn't live close-by and she is not computer savvy so we just want to make this a one-time simple transaction. In addition...money IS an issue here and we are trying to keep costs down. Thanks!!

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    As long as you find batteries that meet the specs of the original battery it will work. The problem, I think, with cheap batteries and Dell spitting up relates to the batteries being "cheap". They are cheap for a reason, some are inferior in build quality so obviously they will fail faster. However, since Dell in general robs you blind with replacement parts, that "cheap" battery may not actually be inferior in quality but simply a normal priced Dell original quality product. You need to differentiate between "cheap" price, inferior product and "cheap" price good product.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gl0rify

gl0rify MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2011
    I've never had a problem with matching "cheap priced" products with great quality for any other computer; but when it comes to Dell--I'm not sure if Dell hates me or what:eek:--but I used to always get shifted bad by it all. I was hoping I would luck out with this--time will only tell. It shipped from Amazon and hopefully I will get the laptop in my hands soon enough to find a true answer. I will at least update the post so others know how it turned out. I was just really amazed to find out in my research (the day that I originally posted this thread), that Dell still has a problem recognizing other batteries that are not original from Dell.:punch: Somewhat of a monopoly if you ask me!
    Thanks R29K:thumbsup:

4. Netbanshee

Netbanshee MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I've had no issues with inexpensive replacement batteries in any of my lappy's in over 12 years. The average life span I found has been longer than OEM batteries.

5. gl0rify

gl0rify MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2011
    I can say the same for myself, but I have had some issues with Dell in the past. Are you referring to batteries in your Dell lap's or just in general ANY lap?? Thanks for your input!

6. Netbanshee

Netbanshee MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Most of my laptops have been Dells but most of my friends and family purchased other brands. I'm the one they all come too when they break. My own experience with after market batteries was and still is 100% positive.

7. RedSpider

RedSpider MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    #7 RedSpider, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
    Whether it's a battery for HP, Lenovo, Dell - the bottom line - 95% of the laptopbatteries are made in China. I own an older Dell XPS-140 laptop. When the battery died, I went on Ebay and bought one for quarter of theprice Dell was asking. I have had no problems with the battery. You don'teven have to bid on Ebay, you can find some good deals on Ebay's "BUYNOW". While Ebay shopping a number of things to remember, try to buyfrom a seller who guarantees his merchandise, even if the price is a few dollarsmore buy state side or from within the country you live, make sure Ebay BuyerProtection is included and lastly be cautious when purchasing from any buyer onEbay who has rating of 95 or less.

:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ebatts

ebatts MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2011
    For those cheap eBay batteries, check to see if those Dell laptop batteries have safety certifications. Usually only the "better" batteries will come with this.

eBatts.com sells safe, reliable, high-quality Dell laptop batteries and Dell laptop chargers. These batteries and AC adapters come with safety certifications, such as RoHS, CE, UL, and FCC. It's common to see retailers using ebay and other sites to sell their products.

9. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    I just bought an ebay dell replacement battery this morning, and I'm looking forward to its effectiveness. The one I bought has a 3 year warranty from the seller, was less than $30, and had free shipping. This is cost friendly to me, but I'm a little worried about how it will perform as well. I'll post a follow up after it arrives :biggrin:

10. sh00reg

sh00reg MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2011
    Bought a pair of replacements for F-S lifebooks at Ebay. Cheap, but till now work fine.

11. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    got mine in yesterday and it works just fine as well. the only major difference that i notice is that on a full charge it will only last 3 1/2 hours, instead of 4+ but that's alright i guess. of course the machine is now running 7 as opposed to XP so that may have something to do with it, but i'm not sure.

but the laptop accepted and worked just fine with it :biggrin:

12. christian666

christian666 MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    just got a battery from ebay for a dell laptop.
    bottom line it works just the same as a OEM or better
    and for a fraction of the price
    i cant complain yet.

13. gl0rify

gl0rify MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2011
    THANK YOU to EVERYONE! I must say...got the battery and so far, it is working perfectly! Can't complain. Thanks everyone for such the great feedback! Happy halloween!!:D