Factory Image Recovery

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by shusmo, Dec 30, 2011.

1. shusmo

shusmo MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2011
    Hello,

I had DELL Factory Image Recovery files on a USB drive, I needed the USB Stick urgently so I copied the recovery files to my laptop HDD, then I formatted the USB to its default settings "from NTFS to FAT32", now I need those recovery files to get back to the USB, so I can boot from it and have my laptop preloaded to its factory status but I don't know how.

Would you please advise! Thanks.

*Attached screen shots included, please have a look.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      105.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      149.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      81.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      102 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      81.2 KB
      Views:
  2. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    attach usb stick
    open up cmd with admin rights
    every command is followed by enter:
    diskpart
    list disk
    see which device is your usb stick, for example 3
    select disk 3(remember, this is an example)
    clean
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs label=boot
    active
    assign
    exit

for the next part you'll need the boot folder from an win7 dvd, again open up CMD and nav to your DVD/Boot folder once there:
    bootsect /nt60 D: (put the letter of your usb stick here)

now you made your stick bootable the windows way and you are now ready to copy your factory image back to the usb stick

hope this helps

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shusmo

shusmo MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2011
    I tried that before, this has to be in different way, thank you so much for responding U-Fig

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    The problem is you copied the files rather that copying the recovery partition with a disk or partition copying software that would have retained relevant partition info.

5. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
  6. digdeep

digdeep MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2011
    Well, I tried it and it will not make my usb pen bootable. Could be a problem with USB pens of course.

7. shusmo

shusmo MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2011
    I tried both methods, I have created the bootable usb manually, tried it with extracted windows 7 files and it does work, but it doesn't work with the dell files, I've got this message "boot mgr is missing", and then I tried the automated way using windows 7 usb-dvd tool, deleted all the windows 7 files from the usb and copied the dell files into it, the same thing happened, no boot mgr :S, what the heck dell is doing, why are they making it so complicated!, I think I had to back up the whole recovery partition instead of the recovery files :S"digdeepWell, I tried it and it will not make my usb pen bootable. Could be a problem with USB pens of course."do you have the same problem!!!Cool, I'm not alone anymore LOL

8. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    put the "bootmgr" from the root of a windows 7 disc into the root of the flash drive will all your other files and see if it works that way. that might be all that is missing.

did you put all the files into the root and not just the folder containing all those files into the root? only ask because i don't know your technical level of understanding.

also, is your OS x64 or x86? it is my understanding that you need to use the correct version of bootsect.exe from whichever you have (i could be wrong but i see it cropping up in searches as being a common problem). would prob need the correct version of "bootmgr" as well

9. shusmo

shusmo MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2011
    I have boot mgr file within the dell recovery folder, do I have to replace that with the file included in the w7 setup?, I have changed the setup ei.cfg from home premium into starter edition, already checked the hash and it was correct, that's because starter edition is not available to download, to make double sure, i tried installing this setup to a desktop and it was problem free starter edition, and as you know starter edition is 86x, so now, tell me, do i have to replace w7 boot mgr by the one in the recovery files folder?, also if required do I have to replace the boot folder as well?, you may look at the screen shots to know what I am talking about, thanks for help!

10. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    no.

nevermind what i said above, you misunderstood, and i'm not so sure it will work

take the file that is named BOO.MGR in the root of your recovery folder, make a copy of it and paste it somewhere safe. then rename the one in the root of the folder to BOOT.MGR make sure that everything that is in the last screenshot you posted above is in the root of the usb drive that you have made bootable and that you have the BOO.MGR renamed to BOOT.MGR

if that doesn't work

then try it again with BOO.MGR renamed to BOOTMGR and try it that way.

if that doesn't work then you need to copy the file bootmgr from the root of windows 7 dvd to the root of your usb and try it that way.

those are the only options you have that i can see. it may just be that the BOO.MGR that is there already is just named wrong and needs to be spelled correctly for it to work. but also i do not know that you have put the files in the root of your usb like they need to be either. post a screenshot of the root of your flash when you finish too.

11. shusmo

shusmo MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2011

100% clear, now I am having 3 methods and I will apply them one by one, I don't know how to thank you man.

I have to leave home 7-10 days for work, when I get back I will feed it back all here, take a rest of me for the next 10 days hehe :)

12. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    it's no trouble here, i'm actually anxious to know if you can get this figured out one of these ways ;)

13. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    i will start over and include one step extra, that is needed for booting OEM partitions

attach usb stick
    open up cmd with admin rights
    every command is followed by enter:
    diskpart
    list disk
    see which device is your usb stick, for example 3
    select disk 3(remember, this is an example)
    clean
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs label=boot
    Set id=27
    active
    assign
    exit

for the next part you'll need the boot folder from an win7 dvd, again open up CMD and nav to your DVD/Boot folder once there:
    bootsect /nt60 D: (put the letter of your usb stick here)

try it with the added line, it will convert a regular partition in an OEM partition.

hope this helps.
    Fig!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Katinka1

Katinka1 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2016
    Hey, I got a Asus T100-chi laptop. And due to my tampering with right of files on the recorvery partition. It wouldn't boot, nor reinstall through the special Boot-feature on this device. To get into a special menu. Also this device has a stupid USB3-micro-B connector. Which does not accept any USB device. Even when it did boot to Windows. Perhaps I have the wrong connector cable. I need advice on which USB cable does work for this device. So I can reinstall my Win8.1 on to this device from a USB-stick. Thanks.