Fail Installing Windows 8.1 on 512MB RAM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Macrohard, May 16, 2014.

1. Macrohard

Macrohard MDL Novice

May 4, 2014
  2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Perhaps upgrade the RAM and verify your source iso file :)

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    First at all: you install 32bit or 64bit?

Secondly: min System Requirement for memory is 1GB for Windows 8.1

If you installed 32bit, it maybe(???) could work with 512MB Ram but sure! 64bit will not work with 512MB and the min System Requirement in that case would be 2GB!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Macrohard

Macrohard MDL Novice

May 4, 2014
    1. No, this an "experiment purpose" on 512MB RAM, so it must be some 2007's notebook.
    That's means nobody sell the same type of memory anymore on this day - it's un-upgradeable

2. No, this not about the source, as said before: "this error doesn't occur on 1GB RAM"
    That's means successfully installed on 1GB RAM - with the same source.

:)

5. Macrohard

Macrohard MDL Novice

May 4, 2014
    #5 Macrohard, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
    (OP)
    It's x86 (32bit) murphy's AIO with Update v4 (April 2014), I choose Core N.

Sure, it will "work" on 576MB RAM without this error.
    This error also occurs on VM, increase the virtual memory at least 576MB will bypass this error.

6. nlgxzef

nlgxzef MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    Is it Update 1 or non-updated 8.1? I tried w/ an Update 1 AIO x86 & x64 ISO (x86 boot.wim), 512 MB RAM, 30 GB HDD on a VM and it can install (I went to the disk selection screen and came back to license terms)

Ekran Görüntüsü (194).png

7. Macrohard

Macrohard MDL Novice

May 4, 2014
    #7 Macrohard, May 16, 2014
    (OP)
    It's 8.1 with Update 1 (April 2014).
    Maybe that's the problem.

On this case, I successfully enter setup boot using Win PE method (EasyBCD).
    1. Creating new partition 4 GB.
    2. Extract ISO (7Zip) into that partition.
    3. Add New Entry (EasyBCD) browse boot.wim in that partition.
    4. Reboot. Install Now, choose Core N, error.

Then trying another method to boot using 8 GB USB, Install Now, choose Core N, the same error result.
    Next time I'll try the Non-Update. Thanks the info and congratulation on your 512MB success.

Just share, increasing 8.1 performance on small RAM:

• Disable DWM (download DWM patch) and then use classic shell Start is Back.
    • Set Pagefile 3x size of installed RAM (maximum).
    • Tweak Registry: DisablePagingExecutive, AlwaysUnloadDLL, EnablePrefetcher (Boot Only), NoLowDiskSpaceChecks, NoResolveSearch, NoResolveTrack, LinkResolveIgnoreLinkInfo.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #8 pisthai, May 16, 2014
    The problem on older Netbooks and Laptops could be the shared Memory used by the Graphic GPU! And that's also happens in VM Ware! Just change in VM the graphic memory to 128MB (from 64MB which is the one used your config) and Windows will not start as long as you not have set to auto use from normal system memory!

The real available Memory for Windows will be counted: total MB - Graphic/shared MB = available for Windows MB! 512MB - 64MB = for Windows 448MB! What you use in VM is 512MB + 64MB Graphics = 576MB in total used!

Check you Netbook/Laptop about the Graphic memory, mean how much memory is used, it looks like it's set to 64MB and than you have just 448MB available for Windows!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Thamarai

Thamarai MDL Novice

May 6, 2014
    May be you should try the Untouched MSDN ISO and see the result instead of trying in the modified ISOs

Thanks

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @pisthai

... which is nothing but a homebrew version of Windows 7 M3 build.

:tea:

12. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    :eek: ... set page file and then disable the paging routine completely, what should that bring?

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Personally, I never used it! Some of my staff was run it on their Netbooks, which we changed shortly after. I was just keeping the ISO Files. I even don't remember it was based on which W7 Version?! I also didn't mentioned that those version were an original because I know it didn't! With my write in Quotes, it should have shown that as well!

By the way, if you have a problem with that, just delete the post! I wasn't offer it to anybody, something what I only would do publically for some 100% Freeware only, it was only to give an hint that such version exist which could be used with lower memory need!

14. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You could try using the diskpart script.
    press shift-f10 when running setup and type x:\menu

If it applies all the way without erroring out, it should work fine.

I've done a may version recently as well...

15. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I think he's trying to figure out ways of using win8.1 with the lowest overhead possible.
    It's not a terrible goal, though I can't say I agree with the method he's choosing.
    I'd probably start with apps and features to reduce the typical amount of running services and ram used.

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Why the hostility, when Tito just stated a fact about the version of windows 7. :) I think in your case anger would be more pointed to your employees who managed a while back to install non approved OS on to their computers, I thought your profession was networking and data recovery I maybe wrong but who is at fault here ?

Anyway I cannot for once believe even if possible to install windows 8.1 on a system with 512MB of ram that it would be workable for any type of normal use.

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not out of anger, just for to clarify (again) that we're not using pirated and/or cracked software within my company! If I come around the use of pirated or cracked software by any of my employees, there's first a warning and on second time I'll dismiss that employee from our workforce.
    And what you try to tell here: "but who is at fault here ?" that's my fault if some employee install software without my permission on the computer he's using?
    I providing outsourced services for Network with my company and run the whole IT-Departments of some of my customers, with my staff permanently working there and I may see some of them just twice a month! And the staff have to sign very detailed Employee Contracts, which are proven and covered by the Royal Thailand Labor Department, in which those staff agree and sign that the use of other than legal licensed Operating System and Application is strictly prohibit and will result in direct cancellation of the Employment Contract.

In my post it were clear that I just mentioned that some software exist and again, I didn't provided any links etc. to such apps, which differs quite a bit from what is done on this board with providing the Links, information etc. to Torrent Sites and even telling to the members for to create, use and provide the links as Magnets to their "home brewn" applications and modified OS's etc.! I seen a lot of those Links even from Mod's and Admin's!

"Before draw a stone to someones door, please look before your own at first and clean there before proceeding!" that's something everybody should do first!

Have a nice day.

18. Thamarai

Thamarai MDL Novice

May 6, 2014
    Perhaps you are going too personal or you tried a joke here. If you are going too personal seriously you shouldn't have talked about his employees and his reaction to them. And it doesn't matter what's his professional is because everyone here is free to talk to and ask anything related to Microsoft products and that's why the forum is for.

Thanks

19. Macrohard

Macrohard MDL Novice

May 4, 2014
    I've downloaded 8.1 x86 AIO ESD Baseline (murphy).

IT WORKS! :)

What's next?

1. How to integrate DaRT to this ESD?
    2. Can I remove the Enterprise from this ESD?

Please advice.

20. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    No way, ESDs cannot be serviced like WIMs :cool2:. Would need to apply each index, re-capture and then re-build the single indices into one AIO WIM :g:.