Failed Bios Flash

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by krodrigue, Dec 3, 2010.

1. krodrigue

krodrigue MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2010
    #1 krodrigue, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    I have a msi 890-fxa-gd70, I baught a Revo drive and it kept freezing up on me so I tried to flash the bios to the newest and it failed...is there any way for me to reflash the bios without having to send the whole box back to be reflashed.

I am asking because the monitor no longer connects but all the fans and other hardware is running. I have tried taking everything off the board and still no monitor.

Here are the computer stats, amd six core 1090t black edition, eight gigs corsair 1600 memory, intel 160 ssd main drive and a one terrabyte storage drive, two xfx ati hd-5870's in crossfire, 750 wat ultra psu...the box is new I have had it for about a month now running very fast without any problems, until i added the revo drive and tried to update the bios...the revo is a 260 gig ssd in raid zero config.

Thanks

2. gumby6131

gumby6131 MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2010
    Did you ever have any luck getting this resolved?

3. Appzalien

Appzalien MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2011
    #3 Appzalien, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
    I had a similar issue when I used the auto flash of the motherboard and it crashed my system. I had a floppy and wanted to re-flash with that, but the monitor refused to function. What I found was the board had defaulted to PCI-E graphics so the on-board wouldn't work and an older PCI card didn't either. Once I put a PCI-E card in, I could see the floppy flash and was able get my system back. Talk about sweating, a brand new board and their crappy flash utility almost trashed it. Now I do all my flashing with floppies and I have never had a problem with that. The fact that some newer system boards do not even have a floppy connection kind of ticks me off. What are they going to do with the letters A and B for removable drives? That's the reason your boot drive is C and XP's sata drivers only look for A.

4. WindDrake

WindDrake MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2008
    The board uses a SOP8 EEPROM to store it's bios ROM. Getting a cheap Programmer to reprogram it is one option. You could also find a shop that'll do it for you (The ROM is not socketed and will require removal via a hot air tool).

Otherwise, it's RMA time.