failed dv6625us bios update... How can I recover?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by m9x3mos, Aug 25, 2011.

1. m9x3mos

m9x3mos MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2009
    Hello all,
    I have a dv6625us that I tried to update from f.04 to f.34 with the file even right from their site. shows was sucessfull and reboot then won't start now
    just get a black screen and fans go
    that is it
    I tried taking the bios file out of the update but there are two a 'a' and 'b' don't know which one
    but place on a usb drive and renamed to BIOS.wph and remove battery plug in usb then power holding win + b and power
    all I get is a long beep then 2 short beeps
    and repeats does not seem to alternate to anything else like I have noticed in the past
    is this recoverable or just done? any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    #2 bp1, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. m9x3mos

m9x3mos MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2009
    Still no go yet.
    Have tried all the methods so far and all it seems to do is the one long beep followed by 2 short beeps and cycles.
    Oddly enough if I try that without any stick in I get the same response.
    Have tried making boot usb flash drives from both the phoenix tool and the HP format tool
    When doing that I have a external super disk drive that is also floppy that I flashed too then burned that disk image to the USB flash drive and tried to boot from that and no go.
    Tried to also boot from the superdisk/floppy and didn't seem to work either.
    Didn't even seem to initalize the drive.
    Think I will need to find a actual USB Floppy drive.
    Finding one of those is worse then finding a needle in a haystack times 1000
    any other ideas? Just odd. wasn't even flashing a moddified bios or anything when this happened. Just the one right officially from HP on a fresh install of windows so nothing would interupt and with full battery pluged in. UGH!!!!

4. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    I still think you can recover your bios.
    I have only had a few fail. What i have found out so far is its either the usb flash disk or the PHLASH16 which causes problems on recovery. On my most recent Toshiba laptop failed bios i could only recover using a usb floppy drive. The usb flash drive would not work. Also not all the PHLASH16 versions will work. Unfortunately you are going to have to keep trying different versions until one works.

I am going to try google. I will post back shortly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    There are plenty of usb floppy drives on ebay and quite cheap. I defiantly reckon you can recover. It is going yo be tricky but it will be satisfying when recovered.

I will post back with more info.

6. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    Are you sure your bios is phoenix. According to google Phoenix bioses dont have a bios error code of 1 long and 2 short beeps. Award bioses have 1 long and two short beeps which indicate "a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information"

I think more research is required to identify your bios eg phoenix or award. If award then you need to go back to the bios recovery thread and look for the award bios recovery procedures.

7. m9x3mos

m9x3mos MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2009
    Yeah definatly sure that this is a phoenix bios in the PC.
    Still waiting on the USB floppy, seems like taking the slow boat from china. Either way tried thoses methods in all sorts of variantes minus the usb floppy. But still no luck as of yet.

8. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    Hopefully you will recover when usb floppy arrives

9. gsteams

gsteams MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    I have been trying to do BIOS recovery on a dv6625us with no luck for the pass few hours.
    Holding win/fn + B keys, laptop turns on with all blue LEDs, fan running, but it doesn't try to read USB floppy or USB flash drive.
    There is no beep at all.

Has anyone been able to perform BIOS recovery on a dv6625us?