Failed flash, no display, computer fails to boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JohnnyFeet, Aug 7, 2009.

1. JohnnyFeet

JohnnyFeet MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I have a ECS GF7050VT-M with a AMI BIOS and followed the instructions in the sticky to add certificates, SLIC 2.1, etc. It successfully modified using the tool and I flashed using the manufacturer's recommended utility in Windows. The flash stated that it went successful and stated to restart the computer. After clicking restart, the computer turned off, but failed to turn back on. I tried turning it back on, internals turn on for about 5 seconds, and then the computer fails to boot. There is no display either.

What does the problem sound like? Any suggestions/tips for fixing it?

2. tazman137

tazman137 MDL Junior Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Bricked...and thats why you dont play with BIOSes and reflash them for this purpose. Sorry man.

3. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    computer is complete toast, sorry, I can't believe the # of peeps coming here, read the forums on easy to do flashes, try them and then get a toasted machine, its not for the faint of heart, oh boy....should be a big sticky warning for people flashing....

4. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Agree with what jeff said flashing your BIOS is risky business, unless you have done a prior flash before you run the risk of that happening. Sorry man but yeah it's toast.

5. JohnnyFeet

JohnnyFeet MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I have flashed before and was successful in my attempts. This flash was unfortunately unsuccessful. I should have flashed it through DOS, but hindsight is 20/20.

I have read about replacing the motherboard battery or changing the jumpers to reset the BIOS to default. Could this be a solution? Or should I just buy a new motherboard?

6. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    You can try to reset it but i think it's bricked. Yeah i would go with a new motherboard. Flashing from windows = bad idea.

7. tazman137

Jul 17, 2009
    It may not have anything to do with flashing in Windows vs DOS. You messed with the BIOS and flashed it back on there. Maybe in tinkering with the BIOS you changed something that caused the flash to brick the board.

8. Asd12345

Asd12345 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Just a quick question, since there are no warnings in the sticked, if the flash goes wrong there is absolutely nothing that can be done to fix it? Even paying professional shops that repair computers?

9. tazman137

Jul 17, 2009
    change the bios chip or the motherboard, it cannot be easily fixed... If you are asking these questions you should DEFINITELY not be tinkering and reflashing your bios.

10. Rotten

Rotten MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    I'm sorry to hear that, man...

Similar experience to mine this past weekend actually.

I attempted to flash my Asus P5B board last week with 2.1 slic. Sadly my video playback in fullscreen was stuttering alot after, and by a dumb mistake, I tried to revert to my previous bios from windows with the asus update utility. I got an error message after the first step (bios deleted) that it could not apply the previous version, and when I rebooted, it never got into post again. My screen was black..

Only option was to buy a new motherboard. Thankfully I got one, Asus P5QL PRO from my local shop. Amazingly, it all worked flawlessly, I didn't even have to reinstall Windows 7. I was quite surpried about that.

Lesson learned though: never...EVER... attempt to flash your bios from Windows again!

11. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #12 HotCarl, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    Strongly agree. Flashing your BIOS is not for novice users! ...and never flash your BIOS in Windows! (I dont know of you did that in your case, but just dont do it in general...too risky) If you dont know what you are doing, stick to lo*ders.

Now then, as for the OP, sounds like your BIOS is toast. You can a) take it to a repair shop and hope for the best; b) buy a new motherboard. :(

12. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    ^^ That should be stickied! NEVER FLASH YOUR BIOS FROM WINDOWS...EVER...THERE IS NO EXCUSE BUT LAZINESS!

13. arrows

arrows MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009

not true !!!

14. arrows

arrows MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Please do a Research in the THREAD if someone posted a TESTED BIOSMOD 2.1 for your MBO before you mod it by your self.

THREAD >>>> Sticky: All Slics 2.1 (Modded Bios List) - tested and not tested

Can`t find your MBO MOD Bios? do a serious request to the rite thread

###arrows###

15. jackdor

jackdor MDL Member

Jun 20, 2009
    that crap i have flashed many mb from windows ie asus m3n78-em just today

16. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #18 HotCarl, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    Yes jackdoor and arrows, but it way more risky to do it in windows than from DOS on reboot. Anyone with half a brain knows this. Most of the problems people have when flashing thier BIOS's is due to the fact that they did it in Windows... Go and read all the posts, a vast majority of the people who had problems flashed their BIOS in Windows. I have never had a problem flashing a BIOS, but I use a USB boot disk and do it from DOS like a sensible person...I do not want to risk the life of *my* system. :)

EDIT: Just because something *can* be done does not make it a good idea, especially for the general public... Do you want to help everyone recover their BIOS that bricks their system since they flashed in Windows? Too many things can easily go wrong... :)

17. arrows

arrows MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    TRUE :D

###arrows###

18. jackdor

jackdor MDL Member

Jun 20, 2009
    i have never killed a mb by flashing from windows never. imho the bio was bad to start with. if you don't know how than you should ask for help before you jump not jump than whan it gos wrong ask for help