failed Scannow test and no access to CBS.log

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by leis, Sep 21, 2015.

1. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    #1 leis, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    I haven't been able to open or gain access to cbs.log to find the corrupt files. And even by using the findstr string method or in following the exact entry, I tried, and it came back as saying not able to open cbs.log and then the second time or visa-versa, but it appeared on desktop just as instructed, but opened in Notepad with showing absolutely nothing, nada-zilch. That's pretty strange.

Any suggestions? I appreciate it.

This could be results caused by removal of all Windows 10 security updates of offer to upgrade, blah blah, i have no interest in windows 10 upgrade. AT ALL.

Able to copy cbs log and open on Notepad, and from what I researched thus far, the CBS Failed to internally open package. [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 - CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE] pertains to the sp1 not able to load/function(?)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
  3. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    #3 leis, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    (OP)
    Thanks Palladin for the info. and I did open the services and I went straight to the Win Modules Installer and I disabled it. I think it was (at least when I opened from services, it was stopped(?)).

I then tried to take ownership or full permission over the cbs.txt file but to no avail, that was when denied access came up after i disabled the Win Mod. Instl. of course. I just have learned in the registry of taking ownership/full permission on a key as I have a gazill Logitech entries that I still am in the midst of clearing o-u-t.

Do you have other suggestions in this concern?

BTW, after I didn't score on that, I went back into services and made the Modules Installer back to Manual, if that is what's necessary(?) to do.

Thanks and I appreciate your linking to other info. on this mega ultra cbs log file that I knew pretty much nothing of what I was reading but in following that it makes for learning something further and on the other hand, it seems so involved, that maybe there's other computer processes I should get into to learn a lot along this every day way, ya know it ;)

Oh yeh, I was reading about the ccleaner and the guy that was surprised of how the updated ccleaner cleaned him out as far as those files he mentioned (in the link). I have stayed on the same ccleaner version for a while after my buddy and I thought that the new version's update wasn't as fitting or that is, the bottom line, I've got an older version running without new updates. Do you think that that might be lessening out on (maybe) updates that ccleaner's offering that may be worth upgrading or....for the most part, that's a sort of secondary question or item that I don't want to wear out my welcome :)

Thanks *
    leis

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    No, I sure don't. When I stopped the service I could access the CBS.log file, no problem. There might be additional services that need to be stopped but I don't know what they are, sorry. Maybe because I'm running Win-7?

I was the one that happened to. When I ran the new version of Ccleaner I really was surprised that it got rid not only the CBS.log file but any sub-directories. The version I used was v5.09 and there might be a newer version, so go ahead and check. They must have some super-secret routine for accessing the CBS.log file and getting rid of everything.

Just be careful installing the newer versions of Ccleaner. They sneak in a "free" copy of DropBox or some other program. Just decline any of the "free offers". I usually run Ccleaner once a month when I restore my working image, and then un-install it. Like Windows and all newer programs Ccleaner "monitors" you system and call home from time to time. Once it does it's thing, I remove it.
    Good Luck.

5. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Thanks for the tipper on the ccleaner, and I wanted to ask a little more details of .. when you say that you remove it, you don't keep ccleaner around as a side to your antivirus, or from re-reading your reply, yeh, it looks like that you're using it whenever and that's another idea especially since you know it can do its thing, it sounds like when or if you feel the need or whatever.
    I just use it all the time to dump my temp cookies and all that before powering off for the night. Mine's 4.17 version, it shows, and is about the last one that I stuck with because of (already above or mentioned).

Because of that, and the way I didn't update it, that's when I wondered possibly if I'm missing out on newer kicks to it or whatever, since it does seem to be its own little powerhouse. I think in looking back a lot of antivirus' started out and then got bigger and sort of overly to take over the computer, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for you input!
    I'll just have to see what I can cc on the cleaner cleaner :)

6. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Kill the monitoring function of CCleaner in the Options. No real need to uninstall it.

leis, just run sfc /scannow again. It might come up clean this time.

7. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Hi,
    Thanks for your info. of killing monitor function CCleaner. Only problem (now) I'm having is to find that very option when opening CCleaner(?).

8. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Open CCleaner, left side, Options, Monitoring. Uncheck both boxes that are checked.

9. leis

leis MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2012
    I think because I'm working off an earlier version of CCleaner, (v4.17.4808 (64 bit) is maybe the reason I don't have monitoring on the particular version(?) when I open Options.
    I took 3 snippits of what is found under options out of the listed categories, but don't know how to upload them here.

I'm going to continue on in looking for possible fixes and thank you for your time in helping out and maybe keep in touch. *
    Thanks.

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    v5 has monitor not v4