failed shopping: How can i WIN8 -> WIN8pro

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by leech2, Jun 16, 2015.

1. leech2

leech2 MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2013
    i didnt pay attention when i was buying my notebook. didnt see its w8 only - no pro.
    but i do need offline folders very badly. feature of PRO only.

i did read you cant upgrade OEM (asus zenbook) win8 because of the built in key (bios)
    that one guy wrote he bought the update online from ms but didnt work.

is there a way to regedit something so offline folders will work - nothing else i need (domain,rdp srv,..)
    or can i somehow fake an upgrade to PRO - i dont want to re-install (took like 10h for everything)

thanks - appreciate your help/thougts

2. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    The store where you bought your laptop doesn't have a return policy?

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally you could upgrade to Pro using an legit Pro Product Key.

An other way would be to use an Pro VL (from the Wild) or an Enterprise and Use MTK for to activate. For to test, I would use an different HDD for to install clean first and see the MTK will works with activation of it. If that works, do an cloning (NOT imaging!!) of that original HDD to an other (external) drive and that try to do an update to Pro on your original. In that case I wouldn't start the 'upgrading' from within the running Window 8, I would use either an DVD or an USB Flash with that bootable Pro version, boot from that and start the 'upgrade' that way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #4 EFA11, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    From talking with Windows Users, I'd realize that many users who talking about that they using Windows 8 already updated to 8.1, in fact that's the majority of users.

As Windows 8.1 is even a lot better than 8, I really wouldn't understand why user's had not updated if they still running Windows 8!

As the OP seems to have bought that Laptop some time ago, he could hardly go now for to claim and change to an different one, special, because it were his own fault, not to check in details what he bought!! A Laptop isn't a cheap Toy, it cost some (not little) amount of real money! In Thailand it would be at least the salary of an moth if not more what an Laptop will cost!

Regarding the Activation of any Windows, there quite a few way to go! It will just cost a bit of time to take to read about and chose what may should be used.

From my point of view, There still a lot infos missing what the reality will be at the day Windows 10 is released to the public. May something what's suggested now, will not work anymore later on or on the day of the public release! According to information by Microsoft Thailand, some information about the 'handling' will not released before public release of Windows 10. That's special regarding the handling of Volume Licensing, Enterprise Licenses and others. We'll get within 1 week after public Release the required information. All Service Agreements etc. will be updated with effective start from August 1. 2015 and that will includes the Agreements regarding Volume Licensing etc. etc.!
    So, all we could do is to wait for to get the relevant information around August 1. 2015!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. leech2

leech2 MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2013
    1st of all - thanks to all of you.
    little corrections on my side - i do operate windows 8.1 not 8. so win10 is an option im looking into.
    (i did not use win10 preview yet, because win10 (unlike 8.1) is not able to connect to WLANS with an 1 digit hidden SSIDs (dont ask))

so im goint to stay at 8.1 core & for now i use torrent-sync to replicate my share offline and vice versa.

if win10 is too far away i will get myself the Windows-8.1-Pro-Pack - thanks EFA11
    ill try to stay legit cuz im too lazy to reinstall and its my business laptop :D

thanks again