"Failed to validate Product Key" on trying to update to FCU

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dunderprotos, Oct 28, 2017.

1. dunderprotos

dunderprotos MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2017
    I'm currently on 1703, CU on a KMS-activated machine. Got the ISOs from multiple sources but all are throwing the same error in the title. Has anyone managed to update from CU using ISO on a similar config? I was wondering if it is because I'm not using VL ISOs to upgrade and the ones I found in the web were not explicitly marked as VL. Clean install would work but I want to know if there's a way to bypass this and proceed with the install.

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Disconnect from the net?

3. dunderprotos

dunderprotos MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2017
    Tried connected. Tried disconnected. Tried downloading the updates required. Basically, the CU is right now up-to-date and if I force Win Update, it starts downloading the FCU but that's a lot of bandwidth and the net is not really stable. CU was installed using a pre-activated ISO IIRC.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I have experienced it in the past (on 8.1), must have had something to do with the activation of the current install or the use of an ei.cfg. can't remember the details because all my win 10 installs are now HWID activated and not by KMS.

5. dunderprotos

dunderprotos MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2017
    I managed to reach the install process by using the generic retail key found online which changed the channel to Retail. However, after reaching the install step, it quit with an error. Checking the logs, the reason is due to "Failed to get image info for Install.wim". Upon trying the setup again, back to square one with the "failed to validate" error. I have never seen this error before. Even when in notification mode, I've previously updated/upgraded Windows PCs without a hitch. Sure the watermark and stuff will be there after install but never a hiccup during one.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #6 Enthousiast, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Please inform us on what edition you are, home, pro, enterprise, etcetc and what KMS solution was used on the old install.

And are you now using a modified iso for upgrade or a clean MVS iso?

7. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...