Failure configuring Windows updates!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pisthai, Apr 9, 2014.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As the title say's!

Full error on display shown is: Failure configuring Windows updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer

I started to update Windows 8.1 Pro WMC from within windows with the offered update from Microsoft and now since 2 hour already it's trying to revert back to the original!

That computer formerly had Windows 7 Ultimate, updated to Windows 8 using the offer from MS for 15 bucks, updated again to Windows 8.1 as it was offered via Windows Store and that all went well without an single problem!
    Today is started to use the from MS offered and already checked updates, which were include and near 900MB Update, which was seem to work well too! after 1.5h the computer restarted and another 30min later that error appreared.

I'll let that run and see all will be back normal without the need to restore from an Drive Image. That's just for to see the "Recovery" will work correctly. It isn't an important machine, just one normally used for to test apps etc. but it will some idea in such case a recovery will mainly work or not!

Will report later on what happen.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    So, here we go.

The recovery from the failed update installation went quite ok but 100%! Some effect's on the graphics! The display while moving around app, browser sites etc. not as fast as before the update!

Chrome was need to be restarted several times before the display were back normal. First the upper Menubar was disappears completely! after restart it were partly back but worked! That was even happen with deleted cache using Ctrl + F5! Will have to check and re-install/update the Graphic Driver from Nvidia! Every other looks like ity works again!

That recovery has need near 4h in total!

Will do the whole Update procedure again, this time fully manual update one, test works, update the next and test works and so on. May it's one which will make problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrJimi

MrJimi MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2014
    hello :)

I'm new here,and after 2 days of trying to resolve this I'm back to square one - ie: still getting the 'failure to configure updates' screen :mad:. I searched this site for a solution of this problem and only found your posts.

Am running a Fujitsu lifebook with 6GB RAM, Windows 8.

I read that an upgrade to 8.1 is not possible without those 113 updates.

Do you or anyone have a solution for this?

Thank you and greetings from Ireland :)

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    why refusing all these updates? It is at no cost and runs automatically if done correctly. Let it sit over night or during dinner or whatsoever. At the end you have a nice working windoze ...

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I think there's just a single hotfix needed to be able to download the 8.1 update from the store.
    You do have to log into the store and have retail/oem activated system though.
    Sorry, I don't remember which hotfix it is.

Alternatively, you could save your activation files and key using the preserving oem activation sticky and then use an 8.1 iso to upgrade.
    Then after upgrade, you should be able to just copy/paste the data.dat and tokens.dat into the 2.0 folder and slmgr /ipk your key back.

6. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    KB2871389
    then from admin cmd:
    Start ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade

that will not work :D

7. MrJimi

MrJimi MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2014
    sorted :biggrin:

i followed your advice abdobi1406 installed updates one by one checking the release dates, and, I think (might be wrong here), that win8 update was just hanging trying to handle 100+ updates all at once. i only had this problem after a reinstall.
    I originally reinstalled after my laptop refused to connect to homegroup (had been working before o_O but all of a sudden I could'nt connect to my desktop pc anymore :angry:) so I thought: let's reinstall:rolleyes: :tea:
    am all happy now updates sorted homegroup workin again

Greetings from the green Ireland and ... you will hear from me again :rolleyes: