FakeHDD!!??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by 4m0d£uz, Apr 18, 2013.

1. 4m0d£uz

4m0d£uz MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2013
    Hi..

I have found a FakeHDD (By Rogues) It's located on my backup drive.. (HDD is a Non NTFS and encrypted and password protected) I have not moved the .exe or deleted it..

What should i do..?
    I have read it should be a very nasty looking bug.. :ranting: And don't know if it's safe to move around or what will happen if i delete it to my normal bin instead of using a antivirus tool.. ??

-Important-

Don't know if it's my old win7 OS, was not authentic version of microsoft's own products (I have deleted it and reinstalled a trusted version of win7)

Or

It could be some of my old windows files from another pc.. I have moved some files both non-important and important files from one of my old windows HDD.. (first time it was connected i did a scan and avg found some files.. but don't think is FakeHDD.exe..

But when all this is said I DON'T KNOW if i'm infected with anything.. I have made a scan of the FakeHDD.exe but nothing is detected...??

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 4m0d£uz

4m0d£uz MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2013
    Have done a scan and it doesn't look good, but can't do much about it without a key.. - And it didn't do the trick regarding to FakeHDD, it haven't found it.. :confused:

Can't post my picture of the log SpyHunter.. o_O

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 4m0d£uz

4m0d£uz MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2013
    Daamn.. had the same problem as the guy who posted the topic on malwarebytes.. Everything went missing in the startmenu, but was able to restore it back to normal by my self.. and haven't had any problem sins..

And still i don't want to install any more programs to get rid of my problem... i have made a scan nad that's it.. I need to fix it without paying for a program.. i need a key...

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Grab the Kaspersky Rescue Disk ISO, burn to DVD or USB and boot from that, much easier removing locked malware when not booted into windows

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Use Cure It , It's FREE! and didn't get installed, just extracted to the HDD! Read the infos on the website.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #9 pisthai, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    Sorry, wrong answer: DELETED.

Kaspersky maybe works too, I didn't have experiences with that Rescue disk. I didn't like Kaspersky as installed Apps, yet that is my decision.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #11 LatinMcG, Apr 18, 2013
    yep people will have issues with it. ( its not recomended to have dvd iso mount soft drivers like alcohol120 and others in system or it will bsod.. they also recomend to post in their forum for assistance with the tool)

i have had a bsod or 2.. no biggie i reinstalled or restore registry to prior with ubcd4win regreswiz..
    but it far outweighs the problems its fixed for me before, like last night i had one that nothing would clean it all... finally ran combofix and called it a night

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sop, we both agree that the best apps would be those which we're familar with. And in extend regarding security, those we have the best experiences with while avoiding those which had brings problems.

Am I right?

I was just suggesting those first two apps to the OP because they had solution for the exact problem he has. The 3., Cure It is the one I use all times first becaus of it's outstanding experiences I've with it. Even it start's from within Windows, it really didn't use Windows and also shut Windows down to Safe Mode. There NO DLL's or whatsoever installed from that apps, it run standalone using just the graphic display of Windows.

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #13 LatinMcG, Apr 18, 2013
    sometimes u will run into fake post replies saying this worked so u dload and buy. (rare but i have seen it)

maybe u should follow steps and warnings given with combofix .. ask for help from the mods of the tool might help! (instead of discrediting it)

in america we have a saying "i opened my mouth too soon" might apply to how u evaluated combofix
    (and yes ive used drweb cure it yrs ago.. lonngg scans!! and it used to leave registry leftovers sometimes, just got ridd of the files not whole infection in registry but it might be better now)

13. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea it works well, it lets you connect and update definitions from the boot disk, great tool for removing stubborn malware, I think its a rootkit removal disk too

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Combofix damaged to stage of NO Repair an ERG Apps and a lot of the data in it which even the paid support were not able to handle from them. That alone was enough experiences beside of a few more before.

Again, that's experiences in working environment which should never be used for testing! Good for you if you're happy with it and din't got problems.

15. 4m0d£uz

4m0d£uz MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2013
    #16 4m0d£uz, Apr 18, 2013
    (OP)
    Nope, did not.. :rasta: but will try combofix no key needed.. :biggrin5:

Abd yes, indeed a bit odd, sins I requested a (key) not a second program, to pay for... :glare:

but any way, here is the scan results from: FakeHDD..OBS:

[edit] ClamAV: 2013-01-05 PUA.Win32.Packer.SetupExeSection (the rest off them shows nothing)
    I forgot to tell that the file name is Unhide.. and this makes me sound very stupid.. but.. :bangin: it might have been something i have download when i couldn't see my startmenu... The file description says Unhide files-made-hidden-by-FakeHDD-by-Rogues... :hummer:

But anyway!! Spyhunter has detected some major threats on my pc.. so i will still go on installing combofix.. and scan..

Thanks!

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Will test it some times. Installation of Kaspersky is out will not do that.

Maybe the Rescue is a good alternative for Cure It. Thanks for the info.

17. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012

Yea you don't need Kaspersky installed, its just a separate download for the ISO rescue disk

18. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    maybe u should make a disk image before attempting any repairs on a "work" type computer so u can undo any mistakes by reimaging the infected untouched os... its how i do it when customer says " i have important programs"

19. 4m0d£uz

4m0d£uz MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2013
    hmm.. allot of info at ones..