Faking having KB971033 installed?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zombie, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zombie

Zombie MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2010
    Ok MS is really going it one small step at a time... First KB971033 was not even selected in my updates. Now it's selected every time and it's really pushing it.

Is there a way to fake having this already installed so it'd never try to push it again?

2. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    If you don't want that update, just right-click and Hide Update.

Currently you require it to download MSE and XP mode.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WCCobra

WCCobra MDL Junior Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Dude, just install it or hide it. If you look around the forum you'll see the update is not that big of a deal

4. windowcleaner

windowcleaner MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2014
    Hi i know this thread is old but my input may help others with this ongoing issue. As of march 2014 the update KB971033 is NOW self installing. Here is a work round if needed for what ever reason.Ok first install your windows system and then (here is the important part, tried and tested to date and will work only before a non required update is installed) before i allowed W.U i installed SRMv2 System Restore Manager and created a restore point first. I then instructed W.U TO CHECK FOR UPDATES BUT TO LET ME DECIDE IF I WANT TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THEM. Having done this i found that amongst other updates that KB971033 was offered as one of the available updates. I selected to hide this update and then set W.U to never search for updates . I rebooted and KB971033 was indeed installed without any input from me. I then decided to restore my system using the restore point that i had created prior to the KB971033 update installation in the hope that this would then remove the update. (Here is the strange bit lol My system did restore to the requested earlier time but) the update KB971033 still shows up in the list of installed updates when viewed in windows update history but it does not show up in the add and remove view installed updates. In a nut shell i will never again have to be concerned about the installation of KB971033 because as far as W.U is concerned i already have it installed (in fact restore removed KB971033 from my system but it remains in Microsofts list as ONCE being installed and it will not offer me this update ever again) I have now update 100 plus updates with no issues. I do not profess to fully understand all i know is that this method will again allow the user to decide what is and is not loaded onto their payed for system what ever their reasons may be.

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    That's news to me. But if you have Windows Update set to automatic (the default I believe) they're ALL self installing. I'm a control freak who likes to decide for himself so all computers over which I have control are set to notify only. Some have updates set to never with pop up update reminders via the task scheduler.

KB971033 is still not a big deal. It apparently IS already installed on commercially pre-installed systems but I've yet to see a problem. Install it, hide it, do what you want ... it really is up to the individual user and there's very little chance of a problem if instructions on this forum are followed precisely.

I think this thread has long passed its useful life.

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Agreed. Now, just to be sure about everything about this update, could you point to the proper thread where the instructions are currently posted, please?

7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    The only reason to avoid the WAT KB as hell, is in case the system was hacktivated (aka RemoveWAT or similiar). After activating a system properly with Windows Loader or MTK i always validate online (at this point you must install it) to assure all went as wished ... and await the MSE being offered :D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Thank you my friend, I already had this knowledge however was asking for more...:D Just for the reasonable doubt :D

9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Similiar questions appear in the Windows Loader Support Thread repeatedly :D.

10. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009