FAQ for Windows 2003 activation

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by truckid, Feb 11, 2009.

1. truckid

truckid MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2009
    #1 truckid, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. truckid

truckid MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2009
    Actually my situation is a little bit more complicated in that my Windows 2003 R2 X64 disc is not OEM, well at least I think not. I guess My questions would be how to covert this disc to OEM, are the 4 OEM files enough, do I need more files and where can I get them from ?

thanks

3. truckid

truckid MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2009
    Thanks for the info.

Strangely, the volume label on my disc is BRMEXFPP, which doesn't match any of the ones list in the MS link.

I do a 'winver' and I can see that its win 2003 Enterprise X64, but not the 'channel' i.e. OEM, retail, VLK etc. The disc itself does NOT have a WINNT.SIF file or setupp.ini at root, this suggests it is not an OEM ?

If the disc is retail, what can I do to convert it to OEM ?

4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    the disk is retail. The PP at the end signifies that. To make it OEM you need the right files of an OEM disk.. I do not know the files because I don't have a guide handy but one should tell you what they are or someone here might know.

Your better bet is to make the CD VLK. If you let me know which files you need I can pull them off my enterprise CDs. I have a library of x86,x64 Standard and Enterprise non-R2 and R2.

5. truckid

truckid MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2009
    File Required ?

I have been looking for a 'guide' to convert retail to OEM or VLK but not had any luck, does anyone else please have any ideas ?

Is it all academic, does it matter if I convert the disc to OEM or VLK ? The idea is to use it with SLP key and Dell Bios, and that it would be activated 'automatically'

The main reason behind this is that Nortons suddenly flags AntiWPA as malware and caused me to reformat, which was a pain

I dont mind which version I have to convert to, as long as I can use SLP and bios method to ensure that it will be permanently activated. Any pointers as to which files I need to convert the disc would be much appreciated.

6. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    #7 offon7544, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...