Fast reliable hard drive for my older laptop?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by dougwa, Oct 2, 2017.

1. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    For an old 2008 HP/Compaq 6820s, I do not want SSHD but I do want CHEAP. I'd like 7200 RPM in the OLD SCHOOL 9.5 mm thickness.
    1: Should I pay five extra bucks to bump from 16 to 32 mb cache?
    2: I like Seagate, but would HGST be OK?
    3: I've noticed that some ads on Amazon are for "open box", read that "used". Stick that! Can I trust goharddrive to sell only NEW? I'm pretty sure they toss refurbs at us.
    Thanks for help!

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #2 tonto11, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    I tend to buy local for hard drives, from someone who fixes a lot of computers
    and suffers irate customers
    they tend not to sell junk, the premium off ebay is never very high.

For my Dell D630's, same class as your HP/C I would use a 1Tb 7200 drive
    with the biggest cache I could get
    That being said on his recommendation I recently bought a 1Tb Hybrid drive
    it's only 5400 but it has a 8Gb ssd cache.
    big enough to carry most parts of the os and commonly used programs
    It makes for very fast boots, 30seconds typically.

However lots of folks here at mdl don't like it
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...cq62-notebook-pc-harddisk.75214/#post-1374881

...T

3. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015

yes 32 MB cache gives u great performance in mechanical drives.

4. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #4 John Sutherland, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    If speed is what you need, you should really consider a SSD. That being said, with a conventional HDD, you'll want SATA 3 transfer rate (600MB/second) , either 7200 or 10K rpm spindle speed, and a 32 MB cache. Keep in mind your laptop's battery life will be better with a 5400 rpm drive.

As far as brands go, I've had good luck with Western Digital and Hitachi.

EDIT: I noticed you mentioned goharddrive.com. Stay away from them, I've read a number of bad reviews.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I agree with John
    Even if your older laptop will not get the maximum from an SSD, you'll still get a noticeable improvement and those Samsung SSD's also have a 5yr/75 tbw warranty, so that SSD should still be serving you after your Compaq is long dead.
    Try not to be cheap because it'll cost you more in the long run to get a new platter drive today

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    no way he drops to 5400rpm he will have to throw out that comp to the garbage.....that just to slow...battery life doesnt apply in a old comp must likely hes battery is already old and it needs constant recharging u basically run your laptop of the charger all the time.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  8. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    #9 MS_User, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    he said cheap. if u look closely at the pic is a HD from 2016 is not a old HD im sure is good... if is bad u can return it. your not going to find a HD only 1 year old with does specs for less anywere.

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Speaking from experience, I bought a hard drive from ebay, it came shipped in a paper bag, No bubble wrap of any type....just a plain bag. I know it could be returned but then you pay the ship and go through the trouble and waiting for refund and dropping it off to be shipped back. When it comes to hard drives, Do not get used, open box or re-furbed. Alway's buy new hard drives ---IMHO

10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    If you were buying a secondhand hard drive at all it should be from local seller or from somebody you knew very well.

11. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    #12 MS_User, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    first of all that was just back luck on your purchase.. ebay has change their sellers policy ....sellers pay for the return label if item is damaged or not whats advertise and u search properly u purchase from companys that sell computers and parts only... does guys will not send u the item wrap in news paper....i have purchase many HD , memory, computers and never had issues....and the few purchases i had issues with the seller has send me a paid return label and my money was in my account by the end of the week....u just have to know how to buy on ebay...and im not advertising ebay by any means.

12. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    the problem their u will always pay more...the store has over head plus taxes ...they have to charge u more...a HD like the one i posted will cost u around $55 to $60 at the local store.

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  14. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i have own a few seagates over the years and they last a long time....they have a bad reputation with issues with their connectors on 3.5 barracuda models. is all hit or miss...u buy one and it last u a long time and others go bad in under 3 years.

15. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    You forget that their are also subsequent costs from the one you bought from ebay. If you can't wait for 7days to two weeks for free shipping(from oversea retailer) you would have to pay for expedite shipping and sometimes custom might want to levy a duty of up to 20% when you buy from oversea ebay retailer or the consequences of returning the product if it turned out to be damaged in transit after waiting for days to receive the HDD.

Secondhand HDDs are better purchased from local stores.

16. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i never buy over seas like china....i buy from vendors that in the states. u just have to know how to buy on ebay.

17. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Okay. You would still have to wait for a day or two before you receive your HDD though. I have been using ebay for at least one and a half year now and I have good idea about it. There are sellers with good ratings and at times can also send goods which might be damaged during shipping handling. Seriously, buying secondhand HDDs is better done with local store or somebody you know to avoid these little consequences or delay. Also, I can get those HDDs below the prices you provided at local stores due to bargaining or haggling over prices here.

18. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    it depends what city u live in...were im at everything is very expensive now.....u have to go online to find a decent price....a hd with does specs here even used will run u no less $45 to $55....and when it comes to buying used u really dont know what your getting....the tech guy from your local store could have miss handle it and drop it on the floor by mistake and damage it...so is all a risk.

19. BadgerJoe

BadgerJoe MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2010