"Fast StartUp" Problem in windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by tottem, Sep 1, 2013.

1. tottem

tottem MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Hi. I Have a triple-boot in my computer. Windows vista, seven and windows 8. First time I installed windows 8, I had a lot of problems. When shutdown windows 8 ( Not restart ) the next time I used vista or seven, computer had to scan all my drivers with CHkDSK. I was looking for on forums like this, And I found the new "FAST STARTUP" in windows 8, since I Deactivated it everything OK.

Now I just installed in the same way Windows 8.1, Deactivated "FAST STARTUP" at first, but every time I run seven or vista, I had to wait for CHKDSK, ( no matter if I shutdown or restart, windows 8 Fast StartUp only works in shutdown)

So sorry for my horrible English.

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #2 abbodi1406, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    save this as skipchkdsk.reg file and add it to registry:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
    "BootExecute"="autocheck autochk /k:C /k:D /k:E /k:F *"

you can add partitions to suit your system

3. eydee

eydee Guest

#3 eydee, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    That would mean if there is indeed a file system error, it won't be checked. I wouldn't do this.

4. tottem

tottem MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Thank you abbodil406... But Like Eydee says, I think avoid vista or seven to check the disk is not a good idea. Windows 8 mess up the disks in a dual system when "Fast StarUp" is activated, It doesn´t shutdown fully the system, It does something like an hibernate. The problem here, is that windows 8.1 behavior when turning off "fast StartUp" maybe is buggy... I don´t know, I´m giving up and wait to the final release of windows 8.1 in october.

5. tottem

tottem MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Ok. Here I am again.... three days trying to avoid the CHKDSK problem, I tried the new windows 8.1 from WZT in a clean install, I tried to update my legal windows 8.0 with the 8.1 update from microsoft, doesn´t matter, every time in my dual boot system i tried to boot into Vista or Seven after used windows 8.1 get the result... CHKDSK running over all my disks. I have a legal copy of windows 8.0 working in a dual system only if I deactive "fast Startup" but that it not posible with Windows 8.1. Thanx Microsoft

6. nitins60

nitins60 MDL Junior Member

Apr 9, 2010
    I wonder why are you still using Vista and Seven when you have Windows 8.1 :rolleyes:

7. tottem

tottem MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanx but that is not an answer... I am using seven and vista because my grandfather left them to me like inheritance... Thanx

8. ImDWreck

ImDWreck MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2013
    #8 ImDWreck, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    It is probably a command that is run in your BCD. Boot off of a recovery disk and open CMD. Run this command: "bootsect /nt60 sys". If this doesn't change anything then run this next command only after removing any drive with an OS on other than the one you're currently using. This command can cause a problem since you have a tri-boot PC, so backup before you use it, "bootsect /nt60 all". Let me know if it doesn't work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. tottem

tottem MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanx... I will try that carefully... then you mean that it is a general failure in windows 8.1? because like i said i tried three different installations of windows 8.1. My system is a HDD with Seven and Vista, two more disks with data and a SSD with windows 8.1.

10. ImDWreck

ImDWreck MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2013
    If you aren't formatting the HDD then the BOOTMGR is still there being use by your other OS's. This is what's causing the CHKDSK to run at bootup. The first command won't give you any issues so you can use that. The second one is if the first doesn't help any.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. tottem

tottem MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Sorry I am being a bit slow here... I will try to explain better what is happening to me:

1. One HDD with vista and seven in dual boot using "Boot It bare Metal" to boot OSs.
    2. Several disks and partitions with Data
    3. All working perfectly, no CHKDSK at boot
    4. Then I take off all disks and install Windows 8.1 in a separate SSD disk.
    5. Windows 8.1 working perfectly, no CHKDSK at boot.
    6. Switch on all disks for a triple boot. OSs can´t see one another because OS partitions are hidden between them
    7. Run vista or seven without having first run windows 8.1
    8. Vista and seven working perfectly. no CHKDSK at boot.
    9. Run windows 8.1, no problem, then swindows 8.1 sees for the first time all the disks.
    10. Run again the vista or seven. windows 8.1 did something with all partitions because vista or seven need to run CHKDSK.
    11. Run again vista or seven, all working perfectly because they correct something with CHKDSK.
    12. If I don´t use Windows 8.1 nothing happens with Vista or Seven, if I use Windows 8.1 all problems happen all over again.

12. Patosan

Patosan MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2014
    I have exactly the same trouble. I've stopped Hibernation via cmd and stopped Fast Startup using a specific .bat file as well as via BootIt Bare Metal, booting and partition manager. However trouble still exists. Any update on your situation ?

13. eddy64

eddy64 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2013
    found this on another forum :- "Windows 8 Hybrid Shutdown/Fast Boot is a partial hibernate, in which only the kernal session and device drivers are saved to the hard drive or SSD when the system is shut down. In a full hibernate, everything in RAM is saved to the hard drive or SSD.

The complaints I see about hard drive corruption with Fast Boot is when someone is multi-booting with Windows 7 and Windows 8 on the same computer. When you do the partial hibernate with Win8 and then boot up with Win7, Win7 sees the drive hasn't been cleanly dismounted and proceeds to repair what it sees as an issue; when you then boot up Win8 again, it sees that the disk has changed because of what Win7 did during its repairs and proceeds to complain about that.

So, if you're going to multi-boot, turn Win8 Fast Boot off. "

another cause of chkdsk running everyboot is if the ntfs dirty bit is set and I think the only cure for that is to format the drive.

14. eydee

eydee Guest

The dirty bit means just what you wrote above it, not properly dismounted. Any chkdsk session or proper shutdown will clear that bit, so there's no need to reformat anything.

15. Patosan

Patosan MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2014
    Turning off Fast Startup was the very 1st step I made.
    CHKDSK is only checking the hdd with shared media and data files, it's not checking the ssd which has 2x win7, 1x win8.1, 1x Portable Programs, etc. Also it doesn't find any errors so there isn't corruption at all, just lots of wasted checking time.

I've gone into the 8.1 registry and checked that Hiberboot key was set to 0 ... it was so no trouble there. Most recently someone from the TeraByte BIBM forum suggested creating a NtfsDisableLfsUpgrade key with value 1, did this but it didn't help.

16. eydee

eydee Guest

Not sure what you're doing. Type "chkdsk /?" into a command prompt and you'll get a ext explaining how to use it. E.g. if your SSD is drive x:, you have to type "chkdsk x: /f /r" to do a complete check. If you get an error message, something is wrong with your system.

17. eddy64

eddy64 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2013
    yes chkdsk should fix the dirty bit problem but speaking from past experience with my friends machine it doesn't always. one of his hd's defied all attempts to fix the filesystem and the only way we fixed it was by copying the files off then formatting it, then copying the files back on.

then again it could be some kind of problem with the drive (maybe check with the manufacturers hd diagnostic util) or could be a storage driver problem.