Faster BUT better Antivirus than Windows Defender?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MrRTM, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRTM

MrRTM MDL Member

Aug 27, 2013
    So guys,

Like the title says; I am looking for an Antivirus/ Internet Security for Windows 8.1 Pro. Is there something FASTER but Better than Windows Defender?

thanks

2. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    after NAV, Gdata, Bullguard, Bitdefender I tried Webroot secure anywhere: wow ! lightest on ram and cpu load, no delay added to boot into W8, I'll stick to it despite a somewhat higher price coz it's really excellent in detection and repair as well.

3. MrRTM

MrRTM MDL Member

Aug 27, 2013
    so Webroot secure anywhere, is faster than windows defender?

4. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    I use ESET Smart Security V. 4.2 (I didn't like the last version, don't ask me why ;)) for some years ago and still using it. It works great and all is OK with it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    The more protection the more resources used, you really can't get around that .. If you're talking boot and shutdown times certainly there are some which perform better than others but generally speaking those which perform with faster times sacrifice protection .. Learning to tweak the antivirus software to optimize speed without sacrificing protection is going to be the responsibility of each individual based on their needs and preferences .. I would say there no longer is an out of the box way to measure things especially with "real time protection" given how individualized that may become based on a persons preferences and needs ..

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I have to agree with that!

The only way around of using on every machine it's own AV-Apps etc., is to use something like Smoothwall Express with added Anti Virus apps as kind Hardware Firewall between your WAN and your LAN. That pay's of special if you have more than 1 machine connected to the Network (LAN). It gives you the freedom to use all resource for you machine without the need of split them with your Security Apps and your "normal" Apps etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I have a 3 year license for Bitdefender AV and Kaspersky Internet Security but I don't use them as they have adverse effects on the computer in terms of internet browsing, it becomes very slow and their forums are full of such threads/problems

I stick to Eset's NOD32, has been the lightest in all my life that I've used AVs

currently, the NOD32 and Eset Smart Security v7 Beta have Windows 8.1 support and they're very stable

the final version of them will be rolled out soon as the german language version is already out as final

8. potjevleesch

Aug 7, 2010
    webroot secure anywhere

yes it did not add any seconds to W8.1 boot and is way more efficient than defender: cleaned 2 entries in reg base that were left over.
    I will pay for it, it's fair.

9. potjevleesch

Aug 7, 2010
    If you can, just have a go @ webroot and you'll see the difference !

10. =)(=

=)(= Guest

How many of these threads do we need, really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007