Faulty motherboard, CPU or RAM?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by sawa, Jul 13, 2019.

1. sawa

sawa MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Hi,
    can RAM sticks not listed in my motherboard QVL list cause problems with my computer?
    I'm asking this question because I have the following problems: sometimes in the BIOS the mouse and the keyboard are not responding, sometimes the mouse pointer is teleporting, but the problem drives me nuts the most is that I sometimes hear some popping sounds while listening to music or watching videos or playing games. Are all of these issues related to the RAM? Or maybe is a bad motherboard or CPU?
    The second question is: can a BIOS mod fix these problems?

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #2 Joe C, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    What about bad capasitors.

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I think most recent motherboards use solid caps....The older boards (non-uefi) that were known for bad caps did not have an option for a mouse cursor. Posting the info about this motherboard may help

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  6. sawa

sawa MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
  7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #9 Joe C, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  9. sawa

sawa MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
  10. sawa

sawa MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
  11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    What are you using for speakers and does it make any popping sounds when you plug the headphones directly into the headphone port on your pc?

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #13 Yen, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    The sound problem can't be BIOS version related since you said you didn't have it on Ubuntu.
    On the other hand you said by disabling 'most of the settings' the sound issue on w10 seems to be gone. So it might be BIOS settings related.

It could be also driver related.
    Which one are you using?
    Try Realtek R2.81. Uninstall previous driver first.

It's not the latest one on the Realtek site, though. R2.82 is the latest one, but it does not work properly. (For me on w10).

Pops / clicks can be latency related.
    But they can be also hardware related (bad parts on mobo / shield / interference) and depending what's disabled onboard at BIOS settings it can vanish.

I am also running R2.81. It's far better than MSFT's default for Realtek especially when using the ASIO driver.

BTW...Ubuntu uses ALSA instead of WDM. Maybe it's really the difference....

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #15 Yen, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    What's remarkable is that he's posted that on Ubuntu there was no issue.
    So I still think it could be worth trying the original Realtek driver I am using myself R2.81.

Such sound issues can be subtle, I agree. Not only on PC, but HI-FI stereo generally and to spot the cause can take lot of energy. Sometimes just using another wall socket for AMP can change things. (Grounding).

Also to check all the cables / jacks can be helpful. Or to try other speakers of a friend with other AMP / or headphone jack simply without external AMP.

OP should post how's the connection (which kind of plugs) and what kind of sound system (e.g. analog 5.1 or S/PDIF whatever).

Do the disturbing pops get louder when raising volume? Can you already hear them when volume is zero? Are they at any speaker?
    Can you relate the occurrence of the pops to a certain action maybe? (Internet traffic for instance).
    Or do you use powerline adapters for your network? WIFI?

Are there pops when being offline as well?

15. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Most of the ideas for solution has been exhausted by other posters and there is nothing interesting I can really add that hasn't be said. If the audio works well on Ubuntu Linux the audio device drivers must be the causes of the issue. We have to narrow it down to that first. I would suggest you install a different version of Windows 10(possibly the latest version) and use device drivers meant for that version from your motherboard manufacturer.

16. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    pooping sounds is usually related to bad speakers....if using your head phones u dont get the popping sounds is bad speakers....i think everything else was a bit of a over kill.

17. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    This issue sounds remarkably like bad juju to me. Try cleansing the air with some sage.