faulty PC question ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by logicwatch, Jun 12, 2016.

1. logicwatch

logicwatch MDL Senior Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi
    Strange issue on pc with asus motherboard not sure whether to change the board or try just changing the processor first as cheaper option ?
    Basically the fault is very intermittent but it will keep shutting itself down ( a random controlled windows shutdown usually after 30mins not just a sudden loss of power )
    and then restarts itself several mins later and then repeats the process randomly ??
    I believe the issue has to be either the motherboard or processor as I have tried 2 different PSU ( was confident this was going to be the issue ) however this fault persists after changing PSU.
    So my question is do I order a board or a processor ?

Can one of these items cause a controlled shutdown and then a random restart sometimes several mins after shutting down ?
    It has become most annoying because sometimes it can behave itself fine for several hours but is always present if left for 7 / 8 hrs and then switched on again from cold.

motherboard is a ASUS F1A115-M LX Socket FM1
    I have also tried a new hard drive with a fresh W10 installation to ensure software not the issue.
    Bios flashed to latest version and have also changed bios battery.

So can a faulty motherboard or processor be the cause of this fault ?
    thanks again guys for your valued comments :confused:

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    usually amd boards its mosfets on mainboard.. sometimes cpu but most times its mainboard.
    im glad i buy intel since 2008. :cool:

3. logicwatch

logicwatch MDL Senior Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Hi LatinMcG

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Yes I too suspect the board as obviously it is always powered even when the PC is switched off so I assume some how its self starting and self shutting down randomly.
    Its most annoying as the symptoms indicate its a PSU fault but this is not the case :(