Fav quotes...

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by gorski, Jan 20, 2013.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    George Bernard Shaw

Like: "A man of great common sense and good taste - meaning thereby a man without originality or moral courage."

"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

"An Englishman thinks he is moral when he is only uncomfortable."

"Beauty is a short-lived tyranny."

"Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature!"

"Martyrdom: The only way a man can become famous without ability."

"Parentage is a very important profession, but no test of fitness for it is ever imposed in the interest of the children."

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."

"Power does not corrupt men; fools, however, if they get into a position of power, corrupt power."

"Science never solves a problem without creating ten more."

"Self-sacrifice enables us to sacrifice other people without blushing."

"The art of government is the organisation of idolatry."

"The love of economy is the root of all virtue."

"We have no more right to consume happiness without producing it than to consume wealth without producing it."

"I'm an atheist and I thank God for it"

"The English have no respect for their language, and will not teach their children to speak it. They spell it so abominably that no man can teach himself what it sounds like."

==============================

Oscar Wilde

"Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess..."

"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane."

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

"True friends stab you in the front."

"Who, being loved, is poor?"

"Woman begins by resisting a man's advances and ends by blocking his retreat."

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."

"Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do."

"A man who calls a spade a spade should be compelled to use one."

"A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong."

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."

Well, quite... :D Sometimes, obviously...:rolleyes::biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011

Rene Descartes
    :-
    Cogito ergo sum. (I think; therefore I am.)

Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems.

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well.

It is only prudent never to place complete confidence in that by which we have even once been deceived.

The first precept was never to accept a thing as true until I knew it as such without a single doubt.

Friedrich Nietzsche :-

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.

Immanuel Kant:-

Morality is not the doctrine of how we may make ourselves happy, but how we may make ourselves worthy of happiness.

I had therefore to remove knowledge, in order to make room for belief.

Ingratitude is the essence of vileness.

Intuition and concepts constitute... the elements of all our knowledge, so that neither concepts without an intuition in some way corresponding to them, nor intuition without concepts, can yield knowledge.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Arthur Schopenhauer:-

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Almost all of our sorrows spring out of our relations with other people.

Boredom is just the reverse side of fascination: both depend on being outside rather than inside a situation, and one leads to the other.

Religion is the masterpiece of the art of animal training, for it trains people as to how they shall think.

A man can do what he wants, but not want what he wants.

G.W.Friedrich Hegel:-

We do not need to be shoemakers to know if our shoes fit, and just as little have we any need to be professionals to acquire knowledge of matters of universal interest.

Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong. They are conflicts between two rights.

Education is the art of making man ethical.

David Hume:-

Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them.

Truth springs from argument amongst friends.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    [h=1]“Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” by Albert Einstein[/h]
    "It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels nor by demons, heaven or hell." by Buddha

4. exo-dan

exo-dan MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    "Any level you're dealing on, I've got a dance and a game for"-Charles Manson

5. MaSSaSlaYeR

MaSSaSlaYeR MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2013
    No pain no Gain

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The major problems in the world are the result of the difference between how nature works and the way people think- ~Gregory Bateson

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Who? George Benson? Wow! :D

8. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Those who would give up essential liberty to gain temporary security deserve neither and will lose both. - Ben Franklin

(or similar words having the same meaning)

9. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    There is a quite big quotes thread here

Let us live for the beauty of our own reality.
    Charles Lamb

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Ach, yes - but this one is serious!!! :D :D :D

11. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Seriousness is stupidity sent to college.
    P. J. O'Rourke

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Except for Germans... :D

Else, no Kant, Hegel........ :D

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The direct way in Germany is to send stupidity to Gymnasium and then to University, no college or something. :D

14. remzicavdar

remzicavdar MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2011
    Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who makes its laws. :p
    Quotation of Mayer Amschel Rothschild

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    ...but only if you are prepared to assassinate those who dare oppose you...:eek:

Cnut von Gorski :D:angel_not::rolleyes::tounge5:

16. pc71520

pc71520 MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2013
    "In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away."

Shing Xiong

17. ComponentsHub

ComponentsHub MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2013
    "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

"Learn till old, live till old, and there is still one-third not learned,"

18. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    "Failure is not the only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others." - Jules Renard

19. NTX

NTX Guest

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. ~Socrates

20. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    "Nobody is completely useless...They can always serve as a bad example."