Few questions about upgrading and activation

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by k3lt, Jul 23, 2015.

1. k3lt

k3lt MDL Member

Nov 2, 2013
    #1 k3lt, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    Right now i'm on Windows 8.1 Pro (Legacy) KMS Pico activated and i want upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (UEFI).
    What should be my steps for successful upgrade and activation afterwards?
    Also since i'm on legacy now, am I supposed to first create legacy MBR rufus bootable drive, then upgrade and create UEFI (GPT) bootable pendrive and do a clean install?
    Or is it possible to just clean install right away, and activate with KMS / MS toolkit?
    This is kinda confusing any help would be appreciated..

2. netmaniack

netmaniack MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    You can do a clean install whit KMS key provided by Microsoft and activate whit Microsoft Toolkit or KMS Pico.

3. k3lt

k3lt MDL Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Oh well that was easy, thanks.

Btw. can i put any additional files (some backups) on the bootable Windows 10 pendrive? Could it break something or it doesnt matter?

4. netmaniack

netmaniack MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    If created by Rufus I don't think so. I always put on Program installations in "Programmas" folder in USB root and it haven't broken installation.

5. k3lt

k3lt MDL Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Ok last question, since my current windows 8.1 installation is legacy (MBR), and i have Windows 10 bootable pendrive made for UEFI installation.. will i be able to remove old partition and format the ssd, and then install it with UEFI GPT? Or do i have to erase my SSD before doing anything? (which could be problematic because Transcend SSD scope says "Secure Erase is not supported on this Operation System)

6. k3lt

k3lt MDL Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Anyone? I'm about to get to installing it now, dont want to fail something as i dont really have any backup plan now.. ;)

7. k3lt

k3lt MDL Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Just to update, it was possible to remove old MBR partition and format the disk from under UEFI installation. Did clean install of 10 Pro and successfully activated using KMS.. :clap:

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Then all keep fingers crossed that it will prevail at least till 'Redstone' gets released.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...