File associations in Office

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by nazarethme, Jan 24, 2012.

1. nazarethme

nazarethme MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2012
    I installed the office and home version 2007 from digital river site and started it as a trial. But the files were not associated. (docx, xlsx. etc wont open by office) . I activated the windows but it did not associate any office files again. Is there any simple and legal way (without virus) from microsoft office web site that I can restore the file associations? (Note: I would not use right click on a doc file and say "always open with office" because there lots of excel, word, ppt extensions and I can not do all of them one by one.

2. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    Hit Start-->Run and type the command-line switch below into the box and hit Enter (or click OK). Note that there is a space before the slash:

For Word, type: winword /r

For Excel, type: excel /regserver

For PowerPoint, type: powerpnt /regserver

For Access, type: msaccess /regserver

See if it's ok now.

3. nazarethme

nazarethme MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2012
    #3 nazarethme, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    (OP)
    Thank you, I tried what you say. But it did not work. Are there any other solutions? As a preliminary search I found out that it did not associate in the setup because it is a trial or "one click install" (exe) file. Any other solutions? ps. I meant to say that I use Office 2007 home and student version.

4. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    See:

''By associating a file type with a program, you specify which program you want to use when opening a specific type of file from within FrontPage. Note that the setting you choose does not apply to your Microsoft Windows settings.

On the Tools menu, click Options.
    Click the Configure Editors tab.
    In the Extensions list, click the file name extension for the file type you want to associate with a program.

If the file name extension doesn't appear in the list, click New Extension Button image, type the file name extension you want to add, and then click OK.

In the Editors list, click the program you want to associate with the file type.

If the program doesn't appear in the list, click New Editor Button image, select the program, and then click OK.

Click Make Default.''