File deletion in Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fred64, Nov 4, 2009.

1. fred64

fred64 MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    I have experienced a strange problem in Win 7 twice in as many days.
    I have clicked on a folder and took hold of it to move it and it has vanished completely and instantaneously !!!
    No deletion or movement delay and no transfer or deletion confirmation window.
    I have searched my HDDs in intimate detail and fcan ind no trace of the folders and contents anywhere on my computer inc the Recycle Bin

So I tried an undelete app called "Undelete NOW" and it found a number of the missing files that I recovered but not all of them.
    (BTW I was impressed with this app and the way it worked)
    Can anyone suggest what may have happened here.
    regards and thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I have NEVER heard of that ! :eek:

That's freaky ,pall. :confused:

Maybe some mallware/trojan at work ? just guessing

3. hdfreedom

hdfreedom MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    I had that happen to me one time also. I have no idea why, and haven't figured out what happened.

Explorer has some issues, and that might be one of them. I've experienced a couple of problems with it.

1- Explorer works fine, then it starts to deny access to deleting and moving of files. Both will finally work, but have to wait a long while to do so. I've tried disabling AV, FW, but it still happens. Reinstall got rid of the problem.

2- Explorer would intermittently stop or slow way down. I reinstalled and haven't had the problem since. Had no AV or scheduled programs running at the time.

3- Explorer has a bad habit of forgetting settings such as tab size and view. Always has.

4- Explorer will forget it's setting for Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives. I've had it set to not show and had system files showing. A reboot took care of the problem.

5- Explorer will not refresh to unshow tmp folders made by installing programs (that were deleted by the program). Closing Explorer and reopening takes care of the problem.

6- Downloaded file doesn't show in Explorer until I go to another folder then back to original. Don't know why, it just does.

Microsoft has known about some of these problems with Explorer from versions back, but not fixed. I'm currently using Directory Opus and haven't had any of these problems yet. I've used DC as an Explorer replacement since W98 because of Explorer being so intermittently unreliable.

4. ComputerDownloads

ComputerDownloads MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2009
    One thing you can do is just have a friend that has thw same edition of win 7 as you send you his explorer.exe file and replace it which the one you have.

5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    That is, if explorer.exe really is causing this. As I said, it COULD be some sort of malware. Could even be a failing PSU for all that matter. Seen some crazy things caused by a PSU failing. Usually accompanied with a variety of issues, off course, but still not impossible here.

I also advise, like Comp.Downloads, to replace explorer.exe, to pinpoint or exclude it from all possabilities. If nessecary, next step, do a THOUROUGH search for virusses/malware. Then if still not found, start looking for failing HW, like MEM or PSU.

Could be a lot of things, so this one may be hard to reveal :confused:

6. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    I had this same problem, but with W7 RC. With RTM it don't happens anymore.

It's a good advice to replace the Explorer with a working one from another machine, and full scan for viruses and malware too.

I never see this vanishing file thing:confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. fred64

fred64 MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    Thank you all for your help.
    I had everthing backed up and got all my data files back I then formatted the drive and put an earlier image on it and have no more problems. so the problem could have been any or all of the things mentioned.
    I am just glad that I back up regularly.
    thanks again

8. joo nam

joo nam MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2007
    there are some strange behavior being reported to M$ such as yours and disappearing shortcuts from desktop.
    i have a small network going here and my shortcuts to the mapped drives disappeared on two of my machine.
    the mapped drives are still there and connected just the shortcuts are gone :confused:

9. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009

All bugs that are inherent to a newly devellopped os.
    Always been, always will. I'm sure most of them will get fixed along the way.
    We'll just have to be patient, cause m$ certainly won't rush it.

This was a very well known bug in win7 RC. Haven't come accross it in RTC or Retail.

Most annoying, I think, is the hibernation bug. Not so for desktops, but having a laptop with win7, it becomes a dragg.

10. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    wow this is something new i have never heard of this and if this is some malware doing so, please once you find it let us know cuz i do NOT want to feel your pain

11. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    This happened to me twice already and im still kind of ticked. Only in my case it wasnt network drives but (unmounted) TrueCrypt partitions. About 20 shortcuts just gone...huge holes in my shortcut arrays all over the desktop...took me an eternity to recreate them because i didnt even know exactly WHICH ONES i was missing.

Apparently 7 has been programmed to think that if a shortcut has no immediate target it cant possibly be serving any purpose at all. Hence it is perfectly cool to delete it without even asking, because as we all know, users are stupid and the system knows best. And this in a day and age where network drives, USB drives and encrypted partitions etc are common place. I mean havent the news made it all the way to redmond yet or what? Whether they believe it or not but it IS possible that a user has shortcuts to drives and partitions that arent necessarily always online...

12. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    I afraid that you may be right...
    Will possible such imbecility of MS? It is terrifying to imagine that our shortcuts can be extinguished without our permission, computer dictatorship.:eek:

13. spkleader

spkleader MDL Senior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    May I sugest something?
    My best bet for this issue: RAM!
    Check your ram timmings in the bios. Some new bioses lots of options to mess with timmings, cas, ras, tcas, tras damn, so many!
    Anyway, try memtest86+ it's free and doesn't hurt anyone.
    Good luck!

14. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Now that's just plain paranoia imho.
    This is a bug well known since the RC release. Nothing intended by m$ at all.
    It'll be fixed in upcomming sp's, cause this bug is allready known at m$'s end.
    Claiming they deliberately seeded this bug is absurd.

The weirdest bugs and malfunctions have arrised since windows95 back in the day, and they will keep surfacing whenever they release a newly develloped OS. An OS is just too complex to devellope it without having any bugs or inconsistencies. The hibernation bug imho is way more annoying than the dissapearing icons bug.

And they'll all get fixed some time in the future. XP also experienced these kind of bugs, and they all got rid off as time passed, and sp's got released.

15. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    No way. When ram timings are configured too tightly, one should experience crashes, random freeses, and BSOD's. The system will become instable at high load times, because of the instability of the ram, and start displaying random errors.

There is no way that too tightly configured ram will make icons dissapear, without causing other instabilities in your system. It just won't happen.

Been oc'ing for several years now, and I can tell you, it has nothing to do with your ram at all. It's just a bug. Nothing more, nothing less.