File Explorer "New Item" - Folder Only

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by gb2012, Feb 28, 2013.

1. gb2012

gb2012 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    #1 gb2012, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Hello, I have an external HD connected to my Windows 8 machine. It's split into 2 partitions with lots of files and folder on each. On one partition while in Windows Explorer the "New Item" option only has "Folder" as one of it's items. Same if I right click, "Folder" is the only item. On the other partition "New Item" shows a list of items including text file, bitmap file, shortcut etc. Something happened recently as I have text files I've created since a few weeks ago. Also, if I create a new folder, while in that folder the "New Item" shows the list of items text file, bitmap file, shortcut etc. Any ideas how to change this? Thanks

2. lt

lt MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2012
    you have to allow permissions in security tab to be able to create items other than new folder

3. gb2012

gb2012 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    #3 gb2012, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks for your reply. I'm signed in as Administrator and the security tab shows full access. The drive that works fine shows in the security tab the following users:Authenticated Users, System Administrators & Users. The drive that only allows "Folder" has some additional users: Everyone, Creator Owner & Account Unknown(S-1-5-21-...). Thanks P.S. When in this forum, my Enter key doesn't work. I can't create a new line. Is there something I need to do for that to work?

4. lt

lt MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2012
    you need to allow yourself (your user's name, not admin) full access. use advanced button in the security tab to add your login name to the list