File management under Linux....bleah.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by smallhagrid, Jul 1, 2016.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    This is not a message intended to flame Linux; I very much enjoy having Linux.
    I am hoping someone who is also a Linux lover can point me to something I haven't yet found and seriously need.

A really, really good file manager.

I think I've tried every one so far - and nothing even comes close to being as easy to use as funky old windows explorer.

In windows I mostly use that with QT Tabbar added, but I also use X2, FreeCommander and a few others - and have just been unable to find anything remotely close to a really good one for use under Linux.

Why do I care, you may ask...
    I have several hard disks with significant amounts of important files that I connect externally with a USB adapter & small power supply.
    Trying to navigate through a great many folders and files using Thunar, SpaceFM or any of the others is much harder than with plain, old explorer.

Does anyone here have a suggestion for a really good dual or quad-pane plain old file manager that is nice & easy to use under Linux ??

Thanks for any helpful replies !!

2. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I myself am using Krusader. I installed it from the Linux Mint repo (it's also in the Ubuntu repo). It's a twin-panel file manager, very much like Total Commander in Windows...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sentinal

sentinal MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2009
    Thanks for suggestion. I like Mint.