File Recovery Software For WD MyBook Live NAS

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by SkyNet3, Apr 19, 2015.

1. SkyNet3

SkyNet3 MDL Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Does anyone have a suggestion as to what software would be good to recover deleted files from a NAS Device? It is a Western Digital MyBook Live that can only be connected to the Network via Ethernet Cable. All software I have found only sees and local or physically connected drive.
    I have tried connecting it to the PC's ethernet port via a crossover cable but I still cannot see the device.

Thanks in advance.. ;)

2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello SkyNet3 - Could you please list the recovery software that you've already tried? This way no one will suggest trying it again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SkyNet3

SkyNet3 MDL Member

Sep 7, 2013
    I have tried [h=2]Asoftech Data Recovery[/h]Recuva

To be honest I have tried about a half dozen or so and don't remember all of their names.

4. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #6 John Sutherland, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If there's still warranty on that drive, do NOT disassemble it, you'll lose your warranty!

Secondly, NAS Drives mainly having a quite strong security and even if the internall HDD of that drive is directly connected to the MB of an desktop, there'll be no access to it's data. The data area mainly will be encrypted and get's decrypted with the security software, something an Recovery software couldn't do!

If the OP has sensitive data on that drive, and he couldn't get access on normal ways as described on this thread, best way would be to contact WD Service Support to get problem solved (if still possible!)!

7. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  9. SkyNet3

SkyNet3 MDL Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Seems like there's not really any software out there to recover data from these type of devices soft of dissembling them. Seems like the Hardware maker as people by the *&*%^ and knows it. And to think I was a Enterprise Data Backup Administrator for 10+ years. Thing is I was backing the device up to the cloud when something got interrupted and data was lost, not a bunch but some. I was just trying to see if there was any software that could be used in the event someone had a catastrophic event(script running wild deleting files) that could recover them.
    Thanks for all of the replies folks. :eek:

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @andy28:

Seems to be that you didn't know what an NAS Drive really is and how to work with it! Beside of that, The speed of an SD-Card is very limited, so the space.

Before starting to suggest anything, it would be an good idea for to get the know what you like to talk about. For things you know, you could suggest something, for things you don't know, sit down and get knowledge first!