File security permissions messed up by chkdsk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by smit.sanghavi, Oct 31, 2011.

1. smit.sanghavi

smit.sanghavi MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2010
    Some days back my chkdsk started running after a reboot.
    Everything was fine until it found some errors and i got this line...

Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 97.
    Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 98.
    Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 99.

Some 10,000 or so files later it ended but my PC didn't restart automatically.
    I pressed the reset button and after that all was hell.

For e.g.

1) My host file entries were not readable by any applications like wamp or firefox or chrome or etc.

2) I could not start some programs like MATLAB because its file also got corrupted.

3) Avira Antivirus does not update because it says Scheduler (sched.exe) has not been started even after starting it from services.msc.

I googled this problem and came to know that my account has been removed from the permissions list of the files (as seen when i saw the properties of the hosts file).

Please help me to include my account in the permission list because after adding it manually gives me a permission denied error.

Thank you to read so patiently...

P.S. : I searched eventvwr.msc but it does not show up chkdsk logs...

2. smit.sanghavi

smit.sanghavi MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2010
    I tried a fix of my own.

I created an admin account and added this line in the Properties of hosts
    Users (Computer\Users)

Then I logged into my original account and confirmed that the settings were still there.
    Opened Mozilla to check and then everything started working properly.

My account still has some minor problems but this makeshift arrangement is enough for me.
    Of course this has to be done to all the files which face problem, i think there is now way out.

I need 2 days to format and restore my PC and its settings back to original which is simply tiring.

Btw mine is Windows 7 Home Premium, so gpedit is missing frm my PC and also there is no section of 'Local Users and Groups' in Computer Management.