File transfers to mapped network drive do not complete

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by seehazy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. seehazy

seehazy MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    #1 seehazy, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Two computers. Client machine is Windows 7 Ultimate. Server machine is Windows Server 2012 Essentials. They communicate via a gigabit switch connected using Cat6 cables. Both NICs are gigabit capable. IP configuration seems fine and they are both on the same subnet.

I have mapped a network drive (shared folder) from server to client. Administrator credentials were used from server (when setting up the mapped network drive on client) and full read/write acces is granted. Network drive is mapped successfully and reconnects at logon with no problems. I have access to the network drive, the shared folder (and subfolders), and all files are visible.

I CANNOT TRANSFER/ COPY/ CUT FILES FROM CLIENT TO SERVER. The transfer initiates, takes a minute while it is "caclulating", and then shows a speed of approx. 22.7 KB/sec. The progress bar never moves and there is no estimated time for completion.

I need help. :wallhead:

2. dailyinsanity

dailyinsanity MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Try to do a reverse mapping.
    Use Windows 7 as the Server and Windows 2012 as the client.
    See what your results are and post them here.

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I feel your pain; I have an almost identical problem and I've had it for a very long time. I've tried every fix suggested by anybody willing to listen to no avail.

When I need to transfer large files, or a bunch of small ones, I do it with either a flash drive, CD or DVD or a USB hard drive I can attach and copy and then carry over to the other computer and attach and paste.

Shouldn't be that way but I got tired of fighting it.

4. seehazy

seehazy MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    I did a google search for "cannot transfer large files gigabit" and there seem to be many people who have encountered this issue. Lots of ideas on how to fix it, so I will be giving many of them a shot and post back with my results.

@dailyinsanity: not sure how I could accomplish that in a simple way... could you elaborate?

5. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    What kind of switch? There could be some settings in there if it is a manageable one. Jumbo frames, VLANs, that sort of thing. Or it could just be a flaky switch.

Try a cable directly between the two computers without the switch in the way to eliminate it as a source of trouble.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. AlexAlba

AlexAlba MDL Addicted

Nov 27, 2012
  7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    one time i went to a E trader office and updated LAN driver and his Trading soft stopped working but the internet worked fine on browsers.. had to revert driver back

8. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Start with simple test.... While transferring BIG files run ping to check any disconnection/delay/rto... once i had the same problem & last result was faulty port of switch....

9. seehazy

seehazy MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2013
    I started with what I thought was the most likely culprit: out-of-date drivers.

Used Realtek's most recent Windows 7 driver for client NIC and successfully updated.

Used Realtek's most recent Windows 8 driver for server NIC and successfully updated (server runs Windows Server 2012 Essentials... figured Windows 8 driver was appropriate).

HOLY S*** BALLS IT WORKS!!! :cool: Feelin good right now. 35-40MB gigabit transfers. This is good for me because my server only has 1.0GHZ Mini-ITX mobo. Much better than 15-20MB transfers over 10/100Mbps network.

I would suggest looking up make and model of NIC for client+server machines and ensure your drivers are up to date... worked for me! I imagine you might have tried this already though...

10. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Yep ... like I said, I did everything everybody suggested. This was among the first and I did it twice in fact. No matter, just one of those little Windows annoyances I work around.