files sharing on local network

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Bembis, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Bembis

Bembis MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2012
    Hi all,

I have a problem to sharing files on local network. I have computer class with 30 machines and I want to make one of them like file sharing server (example, I share a video(audio, pdf and etc.) and other users could watch that video simultaneously. Problem is that there is connection limit in windows 8 and user get error "too many connections". Is there any software (something like samba on linux) that could increase that limit? Or only solution would be to buy windows server or NAS? Or maybe I have missed something in file sharing options?

Any help would be very appreciated. ;)

2. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    too many connections, means overload, too much for a desktop os
    try the same with server os and try to dedicate that machine as file server
    NAS kinda expensive but would be better, doesn't depend on a single computer to work

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I just got done sharing a folder on my server computer running 8.1. I recall a box that let you specify how many active connections you could have (set at 20). I don't know if it goes past 20 or what though.

4. eydee

eydee Guest

Is there any reason not to use linux on a computer that can be considered a server?

5. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Hmm.. no.. it means he's reached the TCP/IP connection limit... like there was a crack for it back in the day on XP systems.

Not sure about connection limits anymore these days..

Anyways...

HOW are you sharing these files? How are they being accessed over the network?

Ultimately there may not be a solution for how you are currently doing things..

Have you thought about using a file sync/sharing type of option? Dropbox would probably work well, AeroFS looks interesting although I've not personally used it (yet), BTSync (I didn't really like it), or any of the things like that.... you just drop a file into the shared folder and within x-seconds/minutes it shows up on the networked computers... without worrying about connection limits.

6. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    How about using Windows Server on the server machine?