Files take extremely long to copy or move over homegroup network

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by triggat, Sep 30, 2012.

1. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    #1 triggat, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    Files take extremely long to copy or move over homegroup network (Solved)

One of my computers with windows 8 takes extremely long to copy or move files to other computers in the home group. Even small files under 1 MB take several minutes...it is frustrating. It is the only computer in the home group network behaving this way. Please does anyone has a solution to this problem. HELP! I'm using windows firewall and windows defender and it's a fresh windows 8 install running on this computer.

2. MrG

MrG MDL Addicted

May 31, 2010
    Is the slow computer a Win8 clunker PC?
    (a weak PC that should only be running XP)

3. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    This is a WEAK excuse to be helpful. For your information it's a Dell Optiplex 780 that came with windows 7 home premium.

4. thesire

thesire MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    Try unchecking the QOS packet schedule, in the adapter properties, and some routers have that option too

5. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Didn't work. It must be something network related.

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    how about the network adapter driver of your Dell? Is it available for W8 or u use the generic one?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    If it is not connected to the web, you might switch off Defender.

8. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    #8 triggat, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    (OP)
    When I installed Windows 8 it automatically updated the wireless adapter...the generic one is an older driver. I have also tried switching off defender and windows firewall but that didn't work.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you network is still running at 100Mbsp (the normal Ethernet connection 10/100 with CAT 5 cable) than your speed will be very slow at all!

You should also use an some "sniffers" for to find out what's using your network traffic. There some good freeware available like NA Detector and Whatsrunning which both works well in Windows 8.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. triggat

triggat MDL Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Files take extremely long to copy or move over homegroup network (Solved)

PROBLEM SOLVED! Uninstalled the network driver windows 8 installed which is newer than the generic one which I had on CD. Installed the generic driver from the CD and problem solved. I guess this thread can be closed now.

11. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    well, you should leave PaulDesmond at least a Thanks since he guessed correctly and was spot on that it might be the driver. Cheers