FileZilla download speed capped at 1.4mbps

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by netant, Jul 5, 2017.

1. netant

netant MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    #1 netant, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    What the server, where You want to connect? What it's address or/and IP etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Your max download speed is as low (or high!) as the Upload speed of the server the content is located on, or as the max upload speed is set on that server! And, if that server is high frequented, the speed will even lower Simply: physical limitation!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  5. netant

netant MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    speed cap- windows its 1.4mbps. Where in MacOS its capped at 2.3mbps. same internet connection but in wireless.
    FileZila used on both scenario, same time.

my web-hosting services refuse to connect, and check with any public ftp hosting Linux distros., filezilla/ftp refuse to connect where as is connecting via browser (palemoon) no issues at all.
    the moment i start vpn .. every ftp is connecting.

Secondly, my storage ftp form leaseweb, its allays given me ~10mbps upload or download, until 2-3 weeks. where speed is capped. i don't have issues connecting his to this server, strange!

in the meantime, i uninstalled comodo firewall - no impact at all.
    Disabled firewall in router - no impact at all.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I've 50Mbpsdown and 20Mbps up and get 65Mbps down and 25Mbps up all times: ON CABLE LAN! on WiFi, the story differs a lot! Even the Modem/Routers WiFi supplies on 5GHz up to 50Mbps, on 2.4GHz that's not more than 24Mbps!! The real download with 5GHz is maxed 30Mbps while on 2.4GHz it's maxed 12Mbps! And that's on my internal WiFi only, not a shared one as a Public WiFi!!

If you mainly on a WiFi connection, I would first direct change the settings, for Channel and Passwords. Other WiFi's in your Area, could effect your one if they're using the same channels. It's also possible that someone has hacked your connection too!

There many things what could have and been happen! If you could use a LAN wired connection, I would use that one instead of WiFi!

7. netant

netant MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Hey, before this discussion goes on different direction, clarifying few things.

Window machines, is primary and connected via LAN. Mac book is connected to WiFi 5ghz network, this is my secondary machine.

I mentioned Mac as it's was pointed that 1.4mbps could be sever cap. Which is not as in Mac is crossing 1.4mbps.

My problems, out of my 3 FTP, I'm only able connect one, which is capped speed. Another two I'm unable to connect at all, and getting on connection loop.

8. tommy_vercetti

tommy_vercetti MDL Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Since you are not able to connect to two of them it would seem to be a problem with your ISP, as before you can hit the server, you first need to reach it and that goes through your ISP

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The ISP is the first stop! Period!

10. netant

netant MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    UPDATE: the ftp server where i was getting the speed capped, i connected to that server from my other windows laptop, wired mode. speed are normal ~10mbps .
    tried to downgrade to the same version of filezilla (3.24.0) in the desktop.. but no improvement.. looks like the speed problem is only in this desktop.. i dont know how to solve it.

Unconnected servers still not accessible in other windows laptop as well.

raised a ticket with ISP. lets see

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    It is impossible to help if you do not answer the questions and do not give enough basic information.
    This is not enough if you say that it is not fast and can not be contacted, etc.
    Good luck.

12. netant

netant MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
  13. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    can you rollback your main desktop to a previous save point preferably three weeks or more earlier? Maybe a windows update or driver update hosed it enough to screw with your "ftp" connection

14. netant

netant MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    i have reinstalled Filezilla & comodo so many times, that i have system restore check point only form last 6 days :(

my windows update is set to manual so no auto-update happened, but i remembered filezilla auto-update.
    i suspected filezilla and hence reinstall with multiple old version without much success.

15. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    can you disable the windows firewall on your main desktop temporarily.. i noticed your connection times out at the
    AUTH TLS command

16. netant

netant MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    #17 netant, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    (OP)
    windows firewall is disabled via services, using comodo internet security.

Is there any tool available to check network ports of my computer or any command line scripts etc ?

17. netant

netant MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    (Updated first post with latest development)
    My ISP blocking all FTP ports, the reason why majority of FTP is unconnected is found.
    one mystery solved!

but i'm still unable to figure out, the ftp which i'm able to connect, is capped at 1.4mbps in only windows 7, desktop.

18. netant

netant MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2011
    checked that one ^^
    looks like a app version of network-tool, plus it need you to login :O

Anyone, please any pointers to find a solution why FTP is capped at 1.4mbps in my desktop ?