FINALLY: A Nice Win8 Start Menu

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by apocalypt077, Mar 21, 2012.

1. apocalypt077

apocalypt077 MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2011
    I know someone posted this, but not sure if anyone actually saw it, so I thought it deserved its own topic. StarDock has released their Start8 which adds a really nice start menu to Windows 8 CP or Server 8 Beta. This is really something I could live with. Check it out here: stardock.com/products/start8/

start8-1.jpg

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Made by Microsoft, hooked by Stardock.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    If you think that's nice then you obviously missed the gorgeous start menu on Windows 7 :red_bandana:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    actually the windows 7 start menu is kinda crappy compared to the new win8 menu by microsoft/stardock :D

5. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Can you pin shortcuts to it like in Win7 start menu? :confused:

6. luke7

luke7 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Now we only need an option to set custom size so we can have full screen Metro with the taskbar. Start8.jpg

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  8. luke7

luke7 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Hi Tito

I am on the latest version.
    On my 1920x1200 it would be nice, if I could set the Metro screen to 1920x1160 (standard taskbar is 40 pixel high)

This will give me full/Max size of Metro+Taskbar.

9. apocalypt077

apocalypt077 MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2011
    Any apps you would like to pin, such as my shutdown and reboot shortcuts shown in the attached picture in the OP, can be placed in: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\". Shortcuts in the root of this folder will show up as "Pinned" items.

10. apocalypt077

apocalypt077 MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2011
    I tried using a Hex Editor on the EXE's and DLL's, thinking I may be able to find the sizes specified.

I located this key: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Stardock\Start8\Start8.ini\Start8" where there is a String "Size" that it uses values from 0-3 to select which size to use.

After all my digging, I found nothing.

Anyone else have better success?

11. xrdguy

xrdguy MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    Win 8 is the ugliest windows ever.. even uglier than win 3.1

I really hope this win 8 metro UI crap get flopped big time.

12. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    just wait a few months then, Win 8 as it is will be e big flop!!!

Nice or ugly, start "thing" (menu or screen) has to be full producting, giving full info and needings at a glance!!!
    The idea of start screen covers everything, no productive at all, just big tiles(Install office completely and you will find a tons of tiles messed uo, to find you program then you will get mad) and no chances to make the background aero, to have the taskbar visible.
    Anyway, if you have a start screen letting visible the taskbar, it remains a good trick, but nonsense if your taskbar is aero and your startscreen not, remove then aero themes and your SO will be ugly and retroactive... :D (win 3.11...)

13. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I installed it yesterday and took it for a ride...it's like a broken bicycle. You can't open apps with the build-in admin account, not to mention that I tried both start8 and vistart, but they suck BIG TIME.
    The only nice thing was the device detection which was flawless. Other than that IT SUCKS BIG TIME!
    So, i'm waiting for Windows 9. :D

14. motwera

motwera MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2011
    Beware that the core windows team always ruin what Windows phone or office and even Xbox teams design , they broke the design language code :mad:

15. jir4yu

jir4yu MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2012
    try this, easy for basic user using.:biggrin:

16. abaguy

abaguy MDL Novice

May 22, 2011
    I sure hope there's alot more to come because what I installed is unreal. What are they thinking? Everything is difficult to figure out. Then when you do figure out how to do something, you're like WTF, is this a joke.