find original file from install.swm files

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mehdibleu, Aug 16, 2017.

1. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    Hello,

i found a win10 AIO Iso that has 2 files (install.swm & install2.swm), so as you know, both of these files were split from original install.wim or install.esd.

My question is how can we know if the original file was install.wim or install.esd ? is there any way to figure this out ?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It probably will first convert the install.esd to install.wim and next to .swm.

What does it matter if it originated from install.esd or install.wim, it always will have originated from install.wim anyway, .esd files aren't serviceable.

4. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    #5 mehdibleu, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    (OP)
    because i remember one time you saying here that it is not recommanded to reconvert wim into esd and vice versa so i thought if it was esd the original file, i will have to convert to wim as i want to integrate dart into the iso as MSMG does not support esd files then i will have to reconvert again to esd compressed image iso so i took seriously that advice and wanted to be informed first before i take a decision but the probleme is resolved since you seem to be sure about the fact that swm files are always have originated from install.wim.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    First, i never said anything about it being not recommended converting back and forth from wim to esd. I could have said, never use an already serviced iso as base for more modifying and surely never an iso from unknown sources.

Second, you can only service install.wim so it always will have been an install.wim at sometime.

6. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    okay, maybe it was someone else who said it so you do you confirm that it is not recommanded to to convert back and forth from wim to esd and vice versa ?

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It really doesn't matter how many times you compress wim to esd or split to swm and back.

Doing it back and forth will only consume time and energy ;)