Fingerprint Reader not working

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by soretito, Aug 30, 2015.

1. soretito

soretito MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I have an UPEK EIKON fingerprint reader on my desktop computer that is properly recognized in win 10 pro device manager: TouchChip Fingerprint Coprocessor (WBF advanced mode)

But when I go to setup the fingerprint login its not there.

If I delete it from device manager and before its re-recognized I go to windows update, it shows an update is available, but then it fails to download

AuthenTec driver update for TouchChip Fingerprint Coprocessor (WBF advanced mode) failed to install on 30-aug-15

Device manager shows version 1.6.1.341 Dated 8-aug-12

The reader worked just fine in win 8.1 64 bits

Any idea?

2. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    the bio metric option only works if u log in with a local account only.....if u log in using your MS account it will not work.......i believe MS will release a generic fingerprint software for win10 but looks like that will come in future builds.

3. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    Sorry, forgot that detail, I'm using local accounts for all my family, we used to move between users with just a finger sweep within win 8.1/64.

ideas?

Thanks

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    have u tried to install the software in compatibility mode? first make sure is install and it tells u is working properly in the device manager.

5. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    I tried installing "UPEK Protector Suite 2012-64bit" but it gives error that the biometric framework is not present (biometric service is running)

6. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    MS is terrible, when a MFG makes a product and gets paid and doesn't care to add support for a new OS, MS needs to make sure all MFG's products
    work when they don't make it or get paid for it.

7. jmtella

jmtella MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2012
    nope... works: local, MS account, Domain,....etc

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would say you're wrong!! If an MFG is producing an Device, doesen't matter what type etc., it's the MFG who is responsible his device should work with what hardware and which OS, and than the MFG has to create a working driver for that! It's simply part opf the Business of the MFG and NOT the developer of the used Hardware and/or Operating System (OS)! In fact it's for thje OS developer simply impossible for to get such devices to run because of lack of Driver and hardware/product informations which are clearly sole property of the MFG!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Thanks pisthai, you're so right, great post and really, thanks again, MDL is lucky to have such helpful people like you around.

Hope you have a great day.

10. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    You should have left the new driver, and only uninstalled the software, then installed the older software.

11. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    Its my understanding that the advanced mode driver installed by win10 uses windows biometric framework (WBF) and the driver installed by the upek protector suite uses its own framework (its not installed as WBF) so how that would work?
    Im not arguing about what you said, I just trying to understand to make it work! Thanks

12. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Was just going by that it was seen by win 10 with current driver, and I don't think anything would be damaged trying the old software.

It might not work and you'll need to wait or contact the MFG and ask them if they plan on supporting it for ten, or if what I suggest will work.

13. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Did you try installing the old driver in compatibility mode for Win7? Uninstall and delete the existing driver first.

14. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    The UPEK Protector suite comes with its set of drivers, if these drivers are installed (non WBF) windows does not sees the fingerprint reader, so the old driver is no better than the one win10 installs...
    Authentec was purchased by Apple years ago, I don't have high hopes of a proper driver for win10...

15. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #17 odiebugs1, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    After analyzing a number of laptops equipped with UPEK fingerprint readers and running UPEK Protector Suite, we found that your Windows account passwords are stored in Windows registry almost in plain text, barely scrambled but not encrypted," "Having physical access to a laptop running UPEK Protector Suite, we could extract passwords to all user accounts with fingerprint-enabled logon.

I can't find that they ever patched the security hole in the protector suite. If the OP reader use's this software.

Apparently protector was changed to TrueSuite and both are now dead and they no longer support any smart sensor products.

16. soretito

Jul 31, 2009
    Indeed, thats why I want to use WBF and not their own... maybe its time to purchase a new reader, but amazon only shows 2012 models, I fear I will have the same problems with a new one...

17. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015

Lucky you. I have a laptop - I'm stuck with the FP reader I've got. :(

18. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Can't you get the IntelĀ® RealSenseā„¢ Developer Kit and use facial and just disable the fingerprint ?

Besides, I bet you have left fingerprints all over your house, :biggrin: