Firefox became shi**y as Hell...

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by gorski, Jun 19, 2016.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Anyone with similar experience, please? I need to check if I am doing something wrong, of course...

Laptop with Win7 Ultimate 64b, SP1 and latest Simplix, FF 64b, in a combination with various addons that used to work fine, and they still do but in other browsers (Chromodo is fine!), plus FF stalls on all my mobile devices, too...

It started slowly opening BBC website, then it stopped opening one website/email at a time and now it's a complete rubbish...

It is not only me: my wife is reporting the same kind of problems, at home, in her latop, at work, on her mobile devices...

WTH is going on, guys? Any advice? I tried reinstalling, I tried earlier versions of FF, uninstalling security addons... whatever I could think of - but the result is the same...

On top of it all, Java and Flash have been seriously blocked and ever more patronisingly so - I can't make my choices any more. FF coders are not allowing me to activate certain addons permanently and so on...

It smells like my favourite browser is dead and I am moving to Chromium/Chromodo....

How about you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    try portable ff and mb 32bit ?
    maybe 64b is not stable, i never tried it i a shamed that didn't try:31:

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    There are not any problems. Apparently, there is no error in Firefox, the error is somewhere else.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    But what about FF in tablets, mobile phones (under Android), why is my wife having the same issues at work and at home, in her mobile devices...???

A bit much to be "accidental". And it is impossible that it is me, since I didn't setup her work laptop etc.

5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I gave up on FF ages ago, and went to Chrome. More often than not the first thing FF would do on installation is crash. :(

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah, had many of those but not on a "maiden flight", as it were...

Still, I love the addons, the many possibilities to sort it out the way you want it to be, the community with help to fix it and so on...

Such a shame, so slow, unresponsive, not opening many websites, so restrictive when it comes to flash and Java and so on and on these days....

Grrrr....

P.S. As suggested, must try 32b again... from scratch... ;) Let's hope... :)

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I would recommend that you to upgrade User Data (for firefox it is called profile). If you just reinstall Firefox, then the userdata not change in any way and there may be very obsolete data.
    I recommend to delete (better shred or wipe) all content in Your Firefox profile folder excluding only bookmarks (if You want also bookmarkbackups - this folder), cert8.db and if You want also logins.json.

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Get a favor to yourself, just trash FF, Chrome, and any other flock aimed browsers and switch to Vivaldi

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I'm still using FF at home & at work without issue. I've got chrome as well but only use it when on sites that need translating.

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Very strange suggestion.

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Yes nowadays, suggesting to switch to a respectful, robust, nice looking browser, built by the same people who invented practically any handy feature present in any modern browser may sound strange.

But I'm old school :D

12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    (As this is not philosophy) you are right! ;)

I updated to Ff 47 and, as has happened after updates before, some of my add-ons stopped working, but this time I am simply fed up with that c**p.

I understand their problem. Many people work there and what could be worse for a company like that, than to have a product that works well...
    So you got to come up with something, and almost everything they came up in the past few years has been unnecessary....
    Improvements? That would be nice. It is EXCACTLY the same snafu that we see at Microsoft. They no longer have a product to sell!
    Firefox updates is all just changes, that NO ONE asked for.
    Get 10% of your staff to look after the security and stop changing for changes sake!

If there were an alternative, they would be out of business tomorrow.... (Please spare me suggestions, the are ALL worse!)

What I did, gorski, I simply downloaded Ff 46 from the net and reinstalled it. I run malwarebytes every night now to check, but, of course, nothing has happened.

13. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Stop bragging. I tried it-----

I have about ten add-ons on my firefox which I use daily and I want and need all of them, two o5r three similar ones are available for Vivaldi.

Call us back, when you have a product!

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  15. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #15 kaljukass, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Usually, the reason is something like this "We were not able to verify some of the extensions ... etc" and then these are prohibited.
    A simple method to enable them - prohibit the signature checking and all works.

Firefox
    If some extensions is not enabled. open
    1. about:config
    2. xpinstall.signatures.required
    3. change true => false
    Restart Firefox

or change - it means add this line to prefs.js file. Before adding, please close Firefox.
    user_pref("xpinstall.signatures.required", false);

If there is some older extension, then is needed also change max version number in install.rdf file.

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #16 T-S, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Strangely people who replies like you never names a single addon. Justt vague rants.

17. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I'm still fine with Firefox 32bit.

18. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If you want to know quite frankly, the 32-bit Firefox is far more stable and faster.
    If you want even better, try Cyberfox. (You can use both of them, even simultaneously, because Cyberfox makes its own user database folder.)

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  20. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    vivaldi is based on chrome. and chrome's extensions are not usefull at all excep a few like adblock.