Firefox might be killing your SSD. Fix it with one simple step

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Katzenfreund, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    #1 Katzenfreund, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  2. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#2 BrianCohen, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2016
    i carefully avoided the dragons :D and changed my value to 15 minutes. :worthy:

3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    Thanks, fixed.

4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    And some more advice on the matter from me.

If you're about to use data recovery software to recover something you deleted, the first thing you should do is close all open browsers immediately, otherwise there's a good chance that they'll overwrite what you've deleted and you won't be able to recover it. This holds for any kind of system disk, not just SSDs.

5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Good idea. I couldn't start it, as I don't even use Firefox. But you could have a go at it, as it is also your idea.

6. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#6 BrianCohen, Oct 7, 2016
    that doesnt matter, it didnt stop you posting in the 1st place. you set me off, its your topic, so rename it firefox tweaks, i'll delete my posts then add tweaks. up to you, save opening a new topic and duplicating your post. let meeno.

7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I just find all this stuff about "killing" your ssd a load of crap. We've been pushing out servers with ssd's in raid for years now running oracle data bases & they are all fine.
    Have you seen how much you can write to a modern ssd? Sure when they 1st came out there were issues with chipsets, components and firmware but those are now legacy ssd.

I know there is a data centre that has been stressing ssd's (and hdd's) for years & the amout written before degradation is amazing.
    I think I read updates at Techspot.

My crappy 256gb ssd will out last me so I better keep it for another 6 months then chuck it for something bigger...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

no offence Flipp3r, but a home user is more worried about replacing stuff because pennies are getting harder to find and are more likely to care about replacement costs than companies. so anything that may help with component lifespan helps.

if your ssd will outlast you, why replace it in 6 months? so its only got a 6 month lifespan, id be worried if i were you. :D

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Ehm...

I am using a OCZ Vertex 2 since 2010 and firefox as standard browser....
    I am sorry to say a SSD is here to be used...even with firefox.
    The article is just made to gain negative attraction on FF (and SSDs)...

Nothing to see, move along. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    This is a very strange remark or discovery, because absolutely all browsers will do so. Has always done. But this is a negligibly small fraction of what Windows itself does or by any anti-virus program does, etc.

11. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#11 BrianCohen, Oct 7, 2016
    i bought 3 seagate hdd's from a supplier in one order. all same model, so with a fair chance all 3 came from the same batch.

1 os drive - 1 project drive, used heavily. regularly cleaned out, zero'd, re partitioned, defragged etc. both died 3 years ago ish or just before the thailand floods etc when hdd prices rocketed.

drive no3 used for main storage, not used as much, same power on hours as 2 that died at their times of death. NOT defragged, still going strong.

is it just pot luck or did less workload or a combination of the 2 help with its longevity, who knows :g:

it certainly didnt do any harm :) i offer no conclusions.

in all fairness, Katz did name the topic Firefox "might" be killing your ssd. didnt say is, just "might" :), then gave data to support the theory.

12. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  13. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#13 BrianCohen, Oct 7, 2016
    ntlite w7 work, audio and video work takes a lot of write and deletes, thats why i bought spinners bat. :)

14. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    On My laptop I replaced the Optical drive with a caddy and swap OS drives that way, then use the stock mechanical drive for storage. Except for My Dozer which I also use SSD OS drives, all the other desktops use mechanical OS drives. Until Win 10 just locked up the storage drive on Bat.2's Rig :mad: I hadn't had a single drive failure in over three years. :g: And with the OCD, I counted right at 180TBs of HHD space :eek:

15. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

16. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

#16 BrianCohen, Oct 7, 2016
    anyways Katz, it is such a simple and free tweak its gotta be worth a try. :)

17. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

18. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    A good old fashioned drive should last 10 years. A Hitachi in my old XP computer was still going strong after this time.

19. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    As my OP article has come under criticism, I provide the following clarification.

This is a discussion forum, and I posted the article for such discussion. As usual, opinions vary, and that’s the point of exchanging views. As to who is right and who is wrong, this is not always clear.

Though it is considered a fact that heavy use does reduce the life of SSDs (indeed, it does for all drives), individual mileage will vary. What matters is the statistical expectation, not individual experience, which is considered an “anecdotal case” and as such statistically insignificant. As an example, consider smoking, which indisputably causes disease and shortens life. Yet, many heavy smokers live to a healthy old age.

Personally, I neither endorse nor reject the contents of the article, for the reason that I am not an expert on the matter. But I keep an open mind, take note of it and hope more light is shed on this important subject.