Firefox Quantum (not as great as they make it out to be)

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by RanCorX2, Dec 7, 2018.

1. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #1 RanCorX2, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. lolnothankyou

lolnothankyou MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #3 RanCorX2, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    (OP)
    you sound like an advert.

i'm already aware of those links and they did nothing for me performance wise.
    the 2nd link is for privacy tweaks.

shouldn't have to do all that bs, firefox has been getting more and more bloated, it's like microsoft are running the business instead of mozilla...
    i configured it correctly and it was not the best browser.

do explain, why quantum, chrome, opera consume gigabytes of memory? when pale moon and possibly other non big name browsers don't.
    it's because they are unoptimized, full of extra background scripts etc.

as i said i have more or less an identical selection of addons on both browsers, yet one uses 1gb+ and pale moon hovers around 5xxmb.

just wish i discovered pm ages ago would've saved me lots of browser testing & switching......

Attached Files:

• ffq.jpg
      ffq.jpg
      File size:
      56.7 KB
      Views:
  4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Errrm, for FF it's the new Multi Process design (electrolysis), no clue about the others. Disable it and you have the behavior of pre-quantum versions like Palemoon.
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...-17763-1-107-pc-r.77945/page-215#post-1489077

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. annieannie

annieannie MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2009
    PM uses single thread while firefox quantom uses multithread so each add on is a new process. that's why it takes a lot of memory.
    If you continue having PM open, eventually the memory PM takes will be over 1G.
    Also quantom firefox is not that fast, under SSD, almost all browsers are fast, including PM and old version of firefox (v56).
    I found another browser called K-meleon, using PM render engine Goanna now and it's very fast and takes low memory. Not many addons though, so I only use it for casual browsing.

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    NO issues with FFQ, I have a lot of memory This way I do not worry at all :p:D

7. onepic

onepic MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2011
    From 64.0 no integrated RSS reader :(

8. ratzlefatz

ratzlefatz MDL FUBAR Recon Squad

Sep 1, 2012
  9. lolnothankyou

lolnothankyou MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2018
    user.js + uMatrix + uBlock Origin + delete all .xpi = performance

Firefox 52 (and probably Pale Moon) does use much less RAM but in my experience is less responsive than Firefox 60. Go figure.

My computer has 4GB of RAM and I prefer Firefox 60 over Firefox 52 performance-wise.

Loading all my bookmarks at once takes 1.5-2GB of RAM (~40 tabs). Windows 7 takes 800MB.

10. ICY007

ICY007 MDL Novice

May 8, 2015
    Icy007
    I agree completly with RanCorX2 as i have tried out Firefox Quantum
    i also give up onto Opera ,Vivaldi and a lot of others
    Most of the time i use commodo dragon & iron 64 bit,they are good but not perfect
    I also use IE explorer 11
    sporadic i use Qtweb
    and BrowzarWinstyle2000,this is based onto the core off IE explorer, no active x,cleanup of index.dat,cookies,history,flash & java data when closing ,a bizarre browser,worth a try
    i am going to try Palemoon now, i used it many years ago

11. beetlejuice89

beetlejuice89 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2017
    Well, the memory leak on FFQ has been a sore point since version 57. Die hard FF fanatics will treat it as a normal behaviour. The problem is, atleast for me that FF nowadays have a lot of visual elements. Just disabling animations make RAM usage & CPU usage bit lower. I really love FF & what it can do. But at the end of the day it lacks too many things that I need. And for other chromium browsers, you can try Cent Browser.

12. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    I have also lag with version 57
    So i use classic yt addon

13. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    No wonder, only Chrome is able to handle the propriatary system correctly, FF needs the addon and edge a user script via greasemonkey to fallback to the old youtube 'engine'.

14. billmcct

billmcct MDL Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Have been using pale Moon since early 2011, and don't have much use for any others. Especially any thing built on Chrome.
    Have 87 add-ons enabled and 32 tabs open using 577 MB memory.

15. Solarsails

Solarsails MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2016
    ^^^^I certainly can' hold anythig against you. I'e been rather disturbed at Mozilla a few times over the past year, like when they blew away my profile and then my wife's with some s**tstorm of an update.... or when they started bumping off add-ons, like DOWN THEM ALL! I cn say with 100% convicton that mozilla firefox SUCKS HARD! Have you used any of the "chromium" bosers? (I suppose not since you said "anything based on chrome". I'd be kind of disappointed losing x64 though...

16. Solarsails

Solarsails MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2016
    ...checked out plaemoon just out of curiousty. Are you running x32 browser on x64 Win?

17. billmcct

billmcct MDL Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Read the Sig.

18. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Palemoon is simply another Ff version, where you sooner or later run into more and more extensions, that will not work there...
    I think I am up to seven other versions I have wasted my time on.