Firewall Question

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by sindhara, Feb 19, 2010.

1. sindhara

sindhara MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    I'm a bit confused. I've been told by my computer-savvy friend,that, since I access the internet a router, with anti-virus software on my system, I don't need a third-party firewall, since Windows' inbuilt Firewall, which I have switched on all the time, will do the job adequately.

However, if this is the case, why would anyone purchase third-party firewall protection? Am I safe?

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Windows firewall is actually a pretty decent bit of software so yes you are safe. Personally id save your money and stick with it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Alien1

Alien1 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    Your setup is pretty decent since both your router and the windows firewall are OK, to be honest there are many FREE software firewalls out there, these tools help you keep your programs in check by not allowing the program some of the access it may not need. I would recommend a software firewall, this all depends on the speed of your system.

4. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    After i uninstall my ZA farewall,the downloading become faster and a lot more stable.so,now i just use windows firewall.

5. michaledouglas

michaledouglas MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2010
    Hey,
    I have well and good configuration of computer and overall settings are also good.There is also one anti virus is installed in it but tell me some thing about firewall?what i have to do on or off ?tell me suggestions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...