First look: Hyper-V 2012 targets VMware's air supply & full feature comparison

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by xscess, Sep 7, 2012.

1. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
  2. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    I still don't get it, why MS and vmware sell the management/deplyoment tool separated?

I would prefer that system center 2012 to be free and pay for hyper-v host. So that way when I spend a lot of money on MS server 2012 datacenter I will get a complete product.

3. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    #3 velocidad, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    Lag and double post, mods can delete this one

4. DoX

DoX MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2010
    Even Hyper-V freebie is packed compared to VMware.
    I like that; M$ is forcing VM$ware to change their licensing.

5. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    No USB emulation under Hyper-V still. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Try SysNucleus USBDEviceShare

I have this one working fine

sebus

8. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    #10 PGHammer, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    Because Hyper-V Server includes Hyper-V Virtual Machine Manager (HVVMM) which is normally used to manage virtual machines. System Center 2012 is whole-network management - it runs HVVMM as a snap-in.

(HVVMM is also part of the base install of Windows Server 2003R2 and later if installing the Hyper-V Server role via Server Manager - or Windows 8 if the Hyper-V full feature set is installed.)

If you are only running virtual machines on a server, you don't need System Center 2012 - it would be overkill. (The same applies to vmWare's vCenter, for that matter.) In fact, what I like about HVVMM is that it's no harder to use than vmWare Player or Workstation - which certainly can't be said for ESXi, let alone vCenter.)

Okay - I am currently giving Hyper-V's Linux support a thrashing - I have my first non-Windows VM (Kubuntu 12.10) running as I type this.

The Windows support is (as I expected) solid - this is Windows Server, after all.

The pleasant surprise is that installing Kubuntu is no different in Hyper-V than in vmWare (or VirtualBox, for that matter) except that you don't install the Integration Services software in the guest - in the case of Kubuntu, you let Software Updates handle this. Hyper-V is indeed shaping up to be a usable alternative for some users of alternate virtualization solutions - and not just vmWare, either. I can also see Hyper-V giving Oracle a major case of heartburn as well.