first time on....is it allowed to ask for buddies in local area

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tamlaman, Nov 15, 2010.

1. tamlaman

tamlaman MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2010
    #1 tamlaman, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    to chat about whether to upgrade from xp to 7 64 bit and compatabilty with camcorder printer etc and old programs

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    chat away, let us have the details of your devices, and also your pc spec

3. tamlaman

tamlaman MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2010
    ok

775dual vsta
    pentium d 945 3.4
    1gig ram
    160gig hard drive
    geforce 7600 gfx
    ready for new pc but most have 64 bit 7 installed and compatability issues so if i stick to 32 bit xp will i soon run out of ram for future programs
    mainly for home video making and photos. so is 64 7 bit the way to go and will buying 32 bit 7 and 4 gig bit be waste as need extra gig to run xp mode
    want to still use or should i downgrade new pc to xp and 4 gig ram
    ms picture it 2002
    paintshop pro 7
    goldwave
    new panasonic sdr h80 camcorder says wont work with 64 bit on box
    everio gz-mg21ek camcorder
    ms works/office 2002
    epsom r200 cd printer

4. qwertykop

qwertykop MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2010
    Welcome fellow noobie! I think I can relate to you because I have just installed Windows 7 x64 in a somewhat similar system like yours. What I have are the following:

Pentium D 930 S775 (now e6300),
    2GB DDR Ram (now 2GB DDR2 667),
    6800GS AGP 8X
    Raid 0 two x 320GB WD Blue HD
    etc.....

Let me tell you this, if our system is much alike then, your build will run 7 but only decently like mine did at first until I swapped the CPU and RAM for something a little much better if not faster. I also happen to have the opportunity to swap the D 930 to a lowly e6300 1.86GHz and it felt snappier. I even felt a little more oomph when I changed my 2GB DDR rams to 2GB DDR2 rams.

Hope this experience of mine helps.

5. dpderr

dpderr MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2010
    What exactly about it won't work in 64 bit? If it's software you're referring to, I'm sure it's a limited version that won't do what you want to to anyway. I was running XP 64 on my quad-core AMD Phenom, but too many programs wouldn't work unless I was running service pack 3 (which doesn't exist for XP 64) like Nero 10, or wouldn't work with XP 64 period like iTunes. I've upgraded to Windows 7 64 and couldn't be happier. I haven't run into any problems with drivers of software compatability issues. Remember, if something has Vista 64 driver support, it will work in Windows 7 64.

Going back to my original camcorder question, I have a Sony HDR-CX12 AVCHD camcorder and I use Sony Vegas and Nero Vision 10 with no problems in Windows 7 64. Hope this helps in your decisions!

6. tamlaman

tamlaman MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2010
    cheers mate will it be software on panasonic camcorder that wont work or camcorder. i use cyberlink power director and nero 6.6 for my everio and this one has videocam suite 2 what i,m asking is will i be able to get files from camera to pc with other 64 bit software to edit etc
    Going back to my original camcorder question, I have a Sony HDR-CX12 AVCHD camcorder and I use Sony Vegas and Nero Vision 10 with no problems in Windows 7 64. Hope this helps in your decisions![/QUOTE]

7. tamlaman

tamlaman MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2010
    cheers mate but how much did that cost as oposed to buying new pc as mine is 5 years old and wouldnt like to start replacing things then to have other old hardware fail soon so may as well have all new. just bought extra gig ddr2 of ram from pc fair but when i got home they had given me 2 gig stick in error so cant put in as only 1 gig per slot stated. lol see my luck... have you seen the bios mod to allow 4 gig in 775 board bit above me though.

8. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Pentium IV's were always underperformers, right from the original socket 478 type to the last of the socket 775's. The x64 capability added to the last P4's wasn't very good, and often programmes ran slower. For the Athlon 64 (all socket variations)/Core 2's and later, the opposite is true. An E6300 should actually be faster than the P4, even though being a slower clock rate and first generation (E6xxx/Q6xxx) Core 2 (second gen's were E8xxx/Q8xxx/Q9xxx).

The original P4's were so woefully bad, a P3 at the same clock speed was faster, noticeably so. Intel just rode their brand name until the Core 2's came along.