Fix broken ethernet port (female)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Stannieman, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Hi there,

I have the following problem:

On both a very old laptop (not important) and a Pioneer CDJ900 (more important) I have a broken ethernet port.
    Normally when you plug a connector in, the metal strips on the plug press against the pins inside the port.
    The pins inside the port are a little springy so they keep pressing themselves against the pins of the plug.
    The problem with my 2 ports is that the springy pins aren't as springy as they should be. The don't come out anymore, and although they don't look bend they are stuck at the deepest position they were ever pushed and now they don't make connection anymore.

I've tried to pull them back out with a needle and paperclip but that's a little tricky, and after I put a plug in it they were stuck again.

So now I'd like to know if someone has some kind of macgyver trick to fix it. Since I have the same problem with 2 ports I guess it's a common problem, but I can't find anything online. I don't care much about the laptop, but I'd like to have the linking functionality of my CDJ.

Thanks,
    Stan

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Not really working... Maybe I'm just not pulling hard enough. Thing is that the CDJ works when you don't fiddle with the cable too much. I'm afraid of breaking it when pulling harder, and then it won't work at all anymore which is not quite an option.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. boscru6469

boscru6469 MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2012
    You could always try a USB Ethernet adapter.

4. jean_phile

jean_phile MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2008
    publishes the picture of your network port.

5. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    Yes, as jean_phile said; it would be very helpful to post a picture of the port.

6. LM3

LM3 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Do you have someone who can solder on a new one? They are cheap on eBay. The hard part is getting off the old one.

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #8 EFA11, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. smilem

smilem MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2014
    Get somebody to re solder that port, it's easy to do if you solder yourself. Just make sure to use good soldering iron with adjustable temperature and good solder with flux that does not require cleaning.