[Fixed] Failure Configuring Windows Updates

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by itsbighead, Sep 29, 2014.

1. itsbighead

itsbighead MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    #1 itsbighead, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    Hi All
    I recently finished reimaging my HP Laptop with the factory Windows 8 image found on the HP recovery discs.

What happened is i wanted to update the computer to Windows 8.1 so opened Windows Update and installed all 111 updates relating to Net Framework 3.5 and Windows 8 System/Security.

When i restart the computer after a while of "Configuring Updates" it changes "Failure to Configure Windows Updates, Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer" and continues even though the computer self restarts multiple times.

Ive tried reinstalling the OS using the recovery partition and trying Windows Update again but it still has the same stupid problem.

Anyone got any ideas on how i can fix it?

2. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Had this happen once before, but I can't recall what I did exactly. It was something that I should have expected to fail. I think I ended up installing some update while other Windows Update was downloading a bunch of other updates.

But in any case, perhaps give it another try?

Alternatively, is there a reason why you need HP's image? For OEM laptops, I just grab the product key, and install a clean version of 8.1 with Update 1. You have a small handful (small being compared to how many you'd have to do going from 8) of updates to install after that, and probably end up with a cleaner system even.

4. itsbighead

itsbighead MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    turns out it was the batch of stupid net framework updates that were causing the problem

will install these stupid updates in small batches from now on