[FIXED] Windows 10 Slow Shutdown/Restart/Logon issue

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by V1212, Aug 22, 2015.

1. V1212

V1212 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2012
    #1 V1212, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    FIXED WITH 1511.

Hi,

I'm having trouble to resolve an issue with a slow shutdown/restart. Just see my video, you will understand immediately : youtube.com/watch?v=Ni1-kY5vvSo

On both : fresh install, no drivers installed, no software, local account, same bios settings.

Drivers, tweaked bios / clear cmos, no USB connect, MS account, latest updates, latest insiders version, disable Win updates, disable Defender, and reg tweak changes nothing. I've also tested with Home, Pro, Enterprise LTSB. During the shutdown/restart, I see the HDD LED doing nothing 90% of the time. It does the same thing on a virtual machine with VMWare. As you can see, W8.1 work flawless. I do not count the number of fresh install i've done to try to resolve this.. :beee:

Second issue with very slow logon : youtube.com/watch?v=xi6tYmdQpcw

Drivers and software are installed, but even without them it can do that.
    Btw, it's pretty random, but when it's here, it won't get out.

Hardware : 4770K, MSI Z87 GD67, 16GB DDR3, GTX 970, SSD M500 480GB, Rog Swift.

Does anyone have encountered this issue ? It must be an hardware incompatibility (SSD, motherboard ?), I see nothing else (no problem with W7 or W8.1 :g: ).

:death:

Back to W8 for now..

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Are you sure that you're not running a service or something that is not responding?
    That's really the only thing I can think of.
    Perhaps change some of the apps so they can't run in background?

3. V1212

V1212 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2012
    Arf, yes, i've forgotten.

Sometimes I see "Program Manager" and "DDE Server" not responding at the shutdown screen. That's odd because i've heard that have been fixed with the RTM. It does that even with no software or driver. Even without an ethernet connexion. :g:

For the apps, even on the LTBS it does that so.. o_O

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    There's a way to change to detailed shutdown info. That might help.

5. V1212

V1212 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2012
    Enable verbose ? Good idea, I will try when I can.

6. rydeordie99

rydeordie99 MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2007
    #6 rydeordie99, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I had this problem with Enterprise LTSB N. I fixed it by ensuring my Hibernate was off and also disabling Fast Startup.

Code:
    powercfg -h off
    reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /v "HiberbootEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f>nul

7. Sakuya

Sakuya MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Did you make sure that it's not dumping your current system state into a hybrid hibernate/boot file?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. V1212

V1212 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2012
    #8 V1212, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Hi,
    I've tested this into a fresh VM, it still do the slow shutdown/reboot. No problem on a 8.1 VM.. weird.

+

I've looked for the verbose mode.. it seem it's doesn't work anymore on W10 (I tried MSCONFIG + REG). o_O

+

Btw, I get the slow shutdown even on safe mode.

I don't think so, I always disable hibernate (and now, hybrid).

9. V1212

V1212 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2012
    Hi,

I did a clean install with another SSD (64GB C300), the result was the same.

After that, i've looked into "Computer Management / Diagnostics-Performance", and noticed that the service "StateRepository server" (an W10 exclusive service..) was causing slow shutdown. So I tried disabling the service, using RegEdit. The downtime hasn't changed after that.. until I completely remove the service by removing the entry ! After that, the shutdown and the logon was super fast, just like W8.1 ! :clap:

Unfortunately, disabling/removing this service completely breaks Modern UI (start menu, every fonctions of the taskbar, modern settings..). o_O Apart this, everything else working..

If the service is restored, it will bring back the slow shutdown/logon.
    Why this service causing troubles only on my computer ? I don't know.. so, for now, i'm stuck. :death:

10. egyptian hak

egyptian hak MDL Member

Aug 21, 2009
    how can i remove it me also have the same problem

11. V1212

V1212 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2012
    This is not a solution, you know. And it's not even sure you have the same problem. But if you to try, here you go : i.imgur.com/smtVaxG.jpg

BACKUP FIRST

12. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    I know that for the most part that win 10 should boot faster than 8 and you've tried clean installs and feel it's the OS. But this isn't always the case and just because the UEFI doesn't need a update to run 10 and the fact different drivers are used will not make this always true.

Have you tried to remove the GPU and done tests with the IGPU, maybe the GOP of the card has an affect between the two OS.

Instead of trying to make sure it doesn't boot slower than 8, have you tried to just work on 10 and make sure that you're in the correct Sata 3 port, the UEFI is set to full UEFI, you have the newest UEFI update for Haswell and didn't update for a Broadwell when you don't run it.

Have you secure erased the SSD when installing a new OS, and have you checked to see if your 970 has a new BIOS.

Have you tried newer drivers for storage, GPU, than what MSI has. Have you tried Fast boot and disabled POSTING in UEFI.

13. V1212

V1212 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2012
    I've just tested this (GPU removed, clean install with only IGPU). Same, with or without UEFI fast boot.

With StateRepository removed, it boot faster than 8. M500 is on port #1 and C300 on #2. I tested with or without UEFI, with 1X8GB RAM, with another bios version, with clear cmos, etc.

C300 was blank. 970 already have latest BIOS.

All my drivers are up to date.

When I reboot, I can randomly see this : i.imgur.com/cdL0DWv.jpg

Task Host Windows
    Program Manager