Fixing a image for UEFI

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ryouga, Oct 2, 2017.

1. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I got a image from online as I often do and added own drivers and a few pieces of software.

But it only installs in bios mode, I checked the efi folder and it has a 32 bit.efi file, I tried replacing it with a 64 bit one and still just bios install is allowed.

And to be clear its using Windows 8 install folder so I can use a ESD install.

Can I just use a untouched 8 install, cut out the sources folder and my post install software folder and place it in that and hav UEFI working or do I need some tool.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    8.x/10 x86 can only run on (U)EFI on specific hardware, like my Asus T100TA laptablet transformer.

Afaik win 7 x86 can't in any scenario.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    True.
    True 100%.

4. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I should be clear im using a 64 bit image that has a 32 bit.efi in the folder, I tried replacing it with a 64 bit.efi file but it did no difference,

So maybe the person who made the original image used a 32 bit install structure and just put a 64 bit ESD in? I did install it onto one pc bios mode and it is showing as 64 bit and full 16 gig of ram showing its just the same image won't let me use UEFI to install Windows.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Tip: don't use other peoples homebrew, win 7 doesn't support the use of install.esd, so the iso will be modified.

Some will release homebrew multi-architecture iso's by just taking a x86 iso and put a multi-architecture install.wim/esd/swm in it, it has to be a x86 based iso because otherwise it won't be able to boot on a x86 system.

7. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Yeah I know about the modified install, just don't want the hassle of installing my own image in a VM every month and removing updates I don't want, and when I tried manually installing updates to a vanilla image from my own ripped discs the wim was far bigger than the downloaded one and the actual install far bigger too.

That and my own additions to a image make it about 5 gig in total and I like to use DVDRW rather than usb so I need to compress it (to be fair the biggest offender there is the video driver at a few hundred meg alone)

Basic Win 7 install even with a downloaded image means I have to install my motherboard drivers, wifi drivers etc.

8. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Before going through all the trouble of modifying windows 7 to "install/boot under UEFI", can you first confirm the actual PC's UEFI firmware has a Compatibility Support Module(CSM)? Because if not, you're just wasting your time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    He says it only installs in bios mode, so it has at least legacy bios but i don't get why he wants it installed in UEFI mode, there are only 2 Win 7 sku's (Pro & Ent) that can be activated by KMS on UEFI/GPT installs, or windslic for Ultimate or he has to update his bios with a modified version with slic.

10. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    #11 joluboga, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    I just tried this and it didn't work. The installation process can't even begin because it can't find the license terms after I select a Windows 7 version to install.

I used the windows_10_multiple_editions_version_1703_updated_june_2017_x64 iso and the windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u.

I extracted all the files and folders from the Windows 10 iso to a folder in my HD, then I deleted its install.wim file. Then I mounted my Windows 7 iso, copied its install.wim file and pasted it in the Windows 10 sources folder. Created an iso with oscdimg and fired up the installation. Selected Windows 7 Professional and it couldn't find the license terms...

The second time, I copied the .clg files and the license folder from the Windows 7 sources folder and pasted it in the Windows 10 sources folder. Created the iso, fired up the install, selected Windows 7 Professional and same result, couldn't find the license terms.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured what I was doing wrong, it actually works now =)

11. goodflood

goodflood MDL Member

Feb 16, 2011
    So, using A Rufus created USB

BIOS: UEFI; USB: GPT/FAT32; M2: GPT/FAT32

NOTE: For changing partition types, I am using UBUNTU-GNOME live USB, USB 2.0 port, non-UEFI mode , and GPARTED [not DISKPART]. When done, back to UEFI mode.

Both USB 2/3 ports, gave BIOS-BCD-error [pic in my upload earlier].

Same config:

BIOS: UEFI; USB: GPT/FAT32; M2: GPT/FAT32

With modded boot.wim (38 USB drivers)... same BIOS-BCD-error (tried through USB 3 port only).

Next up... @Enthousiast methods, which both I have tried last week... modifying the bootmgfw.efi and using Win 10 to install Win 7... but I have no +CSM mode. I can try again (both methods), but I think I need to do a BIOS update. Not sure where to start.

12. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Not at all!
    From WinPE 10 (booted either way, CSM/UEFI) install Windows 7 by dism /apply-image to GPT diskpart-ed HDD & use Windows 10 bcdboot w:\windows /s s: /f UEFI

I do it each & every time (when I need to get W10 HWID on random machine)

sebus

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #14 Enthousiast, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    I am not talking about the apply image method, i know you do it that way, many don't.

Btw, i even have tried that on a pure EFI windows 10 install, made a new partition, applied the win 7 SP1 x64 image to it and made a boot entry, my hardware kept rebooting and reporting "because of msft limitations for UEFI..." it wouldn't boot at all, it automatically set CSM to enabled. Without CSM = no win 7 on pure UEFI.
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...-bit-on-uefi-laptop.76391/page-5#post-1411529

14. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    could you please explain what exactly this command line does when you run it ?
    bcdboot w:\windows /s s: /f UEFI

15. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    It copies boot files from w:\windows to mounted EFI partition S: (where W: was the mounted partition from local HD0 which had Windows applied to by dism)

16. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008